Wednesday, October 25, 2006

what do you know about 'merica?

Randy Newman is on 'The Colbert Report' tonight--I hate that dude. Actually, I hate Walter for making me download Randy Newman's seminal song 'Short People', with the main line 'short people got no reason to live'. Also, I'm starting to get annoyed with Stephen Colbert--the jokes are always the same now. He started out as one of the funniest guest commentators on 'The Daily Show', and his show was initially hysterical, but it's kind of hard to keep a one-note joke funny when you're telling it every weeknight for a year. Then again, you keep reading this blog even though it's always the same, and I keep writing it even though I never have anything particularly new to say. Ah, the irony.

I'm rather annoyed tonight; I came home, then went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients for potato-leek soup so that I could make it in advance of tomorrow night's 'Soup and 'Lost'' evening. But, I wasn't paying attention to the leeks while I was chopping the potatoes, and I ended up burning them. So I ran back to the grocery store and got new leeks, cooked them perfectly, added the vegetable stock and the potatoes--and then added twice as much cream as I should have because I wasn't paying attention to the correct conversion of cups to pints/quarts. Dammit! It still tastes fine but it's not going to be potato-y enough, so I have the choice of either leaving it alone, or boiling some extra potatoes and adding more onion tomorrow when I heat it up. How sad!

But, I received last year's Christmas presents today, which was lovely--I now have my great mixing bowls that I've now officially wanted for over a year, as well as the Julia Child cookbook that my grandmother got me, the Russian and Indian cookbooks that my parents and brother gave me, and some jersey-knit sheets to add to my overflowing linen closet. Yay. I also got part of my Amazon order--I now have legally produced, non-blurred copies of 'Sahara' and 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith', and a book on 19th-century English women's fashions. Looking at the drawings was quite informative, and I can't wait to do some more research on the subject. Now, though, I should go to bed so that I can go in early, leave early, and figure out whether or not to attempt to fix my soup. Goodnight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why wasn't our lunch mentioned?

Anonymous said...

You could become Moldova's "Borat". "In my country I am tall, I was on the Moldovan women's basketball olympic team. We lost in the first round to the Philipines." Film teach great Moldova truth about America.

Anonymous said...

Slater says, a big shout out to Jan, nee S, of Nodyroc whom we saw at the Czech and Slovak National Museum and Cultural Center in See the Rabbits (Cedar Rapids). She says she is a regular reader of this blog.

Fifty years ago Gram was pretty good sized as she was preparing to deliver your father. Of course the real excitement was that we had our first television -- black and white and 61 shades of gray.