Tuesday, October 17, 2006

when i'm deep inside of me, don't be too concerned

I was quite productive at work today, but I spent a bit of time getting a visitor from Dublin settled in, and so I didn't get completely through everything that I wanted to accomplish. So, I came home and intended to work while watching 'Love Actually' on my beautiful TV, but instead I played with my iPod while watching 'Love Actually'. To be precise, I played with my brand-new hot pink iPod nano, which arrived today. My old iPod, at over three years old, was in danger of dying at last, and I decided to replace it before the end came (and before they decided to pull the magenta version of the nano). It's gorgeous, and about a fourth of the size of my old iPod, which was already small enough. Actually, it's quite a miracle of modern invention; I can fit a thousand songs on a gadget that is smaller than a pack of Trident. And, it has a color screen; my old-generation iPod seems positively ancient by comparison.

So, after the movie ended and after I had uploaded all my favorites, I finally got down to business and cranked out the things that I absolutely had to do tonight. Now I should go to bed so that I can get up early, shower, and no doubt wait for several fruitless hours until the Comcast guy finally shows up. I'm working from home tomorrow morning so that I can wait for my cable to be installed, and when it finally is installed, my life will magically return to normal. Yay.

I haven't written anything since I hurriedly finished my short story last week; this trend is something I must rectify. I also need to read the stories for this week, as well as clean my bathroom in case I have company on Wednesday night to watch 'Lost'. Ah, so much to do, so little time. And, as the woman at the Container Store so kindly reminded me, Christmas is only two months away. How is that possible? It seems like only weeks ago that I opened my Christmas presents from my relatives. In fact, I'm going to relive that experience shortly, if my mother gets her act together--since I was moving to Ireland shortly after Christmas (or so I thought) last year, I didn't bring my presents back, and when I drove my car back here this summer, I only had room for a couple of things, like the jewelry box my nieces and nephew gave me. So, I'm now demanding that they be sent before Christmas this year, otherwise I'm sure I'll end up being regifted my own stuff. Actually, that wouldn't be so horrible, but I had received a Julia Child cookbook, as well as Russian and Indian cookbooks, and I'd love to experiment. There were also some lovely red mixing bowls, and some jersey-knit sheets that I'm going to want in a few short weeks if the weather takes the turn for the worse that it always seems to take this time of year.

Of course, come to think of it I don't really have room for any more stuff, but most of it was kitchenware, and that's the one thing I still have room for (mainly because I haven't stocked up on my groceries). If I ever want to get to the point where there are no boxes sitting out in any part of my apartment, I'm going to have to purge some more stuff, which will inevitably break my heart. Oh well, once it's done I probably won't miss most of it. Now, though, is no time to contemplate this awful task; I'm going to bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice jab at the old girl. Just another reminder that you learned procrastination from the BEST!

Anonymous said...

Man, given your tender words for your mom, I'm glad I'm not your mom.