Tuesday, April 17, 2007

you say potato, i say meningitis

It's funny, whenever I get sick, I assume I have meningitis, and then I never go to the doctor. When I woke up yesterday morning at four a.m., started vomiting, and skipped the first day of the conference to sleep and vomit the day away, I thought 'I have meningitis'. When I woke up this morning (after having slept for eight hours after having slept off and on for eight hours during the day) with a raging headache, stiff neck, and remaining nausea, I thought 'I have meningitis.' My solution to all of this was to try for a stiff upper lip and go into the office regardless. My head hurt all day (and still hurts), I didn't really eat much for lunch, and while I managed to eat dinner (v. fancy, delicious steak, w/a crab appetiser), I didn't finish everything--which should show how sick I felt, since I wasn't able to finish a measly 8-oz steak fillet.

So anyway, I hope I feel better tomorrow, because I don't want to have to deal with finding a doctor here. I'm banking on the fact that my neck hurts because I slept so much, and my head hurts because I'm seriously short on caffeine - I usually drink 32oz of iced tea, 20oz of Diet Coke, and at least one cup of coffee during a workday, and so the fact that I'm both dehydrated and low on caffeine can't be helping matters.

Anyway, I should really go to bed, since I have to go into the office tomorrow. I must say that despite my miserable headache, I'm enjoying being back in Dublin--I'd forgotten how much I liked certain aspects of it. Too bad I'll probably never be able to swing another stint here. I hope all is well in the States - it's time for bed!

5 comments:

Not Applicable said...

oh, damn, you're in dublin? no wonder you didn't get my text message about anal. anyways, have a good time and stay safe. (ps i think you read dlisted even more than me every day.) - tz

Anonymous said...

You missed a 5.0 earthquake at 1:43 a.m. PDT. Doctors in Dublin: Dr. Casey, Dr. Kelly, Dr. O'Neill, Dr. Ryan, Etc. Get well soon. You may be needed in Council Bluffs.

Sara said...

why am i needed in council bluffs?

Anonymous said...

Rumors of a major employer building a major facility in CB near Lake Manawa State Park, just 17 miles from downtown Treynor on Iowa 92. Has facilities in India, UK, Ireland, and other locations. Needs Iowa operation in order to be truly world class. No, not a seed corn company. Iowa legislature voting tax breaks.

Anonymous said...

At least you don't have Toxoplasma gondii - click on my name for the gory details.

Hope you are feeling better!

Alan