Thursday, February 07, 2008

i'm finding out i'm missing you

I woke up this morning and actually felt hungover, even though I didn't drink anything last night. I guess the effects of that many rollercoasters will mess you up just as badly as my usual number of vodka cranberries. So, I took my time getting ready this morning, and left Anaheim around 1pm.

One of the key realizations that I've had about my break (which officially starts now) is that I can't waste this opportunity to really experience life, etc. As I was driving down the coast to San Diego, I was thinking about how dangerous all this freedom is - I'm completely free to sleep and eat and read and stare at the wall as much as I want, since there is no external compulsion to get anything done. Instead, I need to use my freedom to say yes to doing interesting things - like, rather than just continuing to drive until I get to my destination, feeling free to pull over at a vista point and talk to my mom on the phone while watching the ocean. Small, weird example, I know, but I want to use this time to break the habits of standard corporate life and see if I would be happy with the less structured, more free-spirited approach to daily activities.

So anyway, I got to San Diego, checked in, ate a salad in the hotel bar and generally relaxed, took a nap, and then spent some quality time on the phone with my dad. I also spent some time reading through the phone book and looking for a good last name for my pseudonym - to the owner of ramseytimber.com, I may still have to use that last name, since I have yet to find something that I like better. I realize that this description goes completely against my whole diatribe about doing interesting things with my life, but I was flippin' exhausted after Disneyland. Then, Tammy picked me up, and we had a nice, demonstrative reunion in the lobby of my hotel before going out for dinner at some hole-in-the-wall place that looked like the Chinese cousin of Lucky Dhaba, but was much tastier and used real dishes rather than Styrofoam. It was fantastic to catch up with her, although depressing to talk to someone whom I haven't hung out with in over a year and realize that my life really hasn't changed much. Oh, well, this break will fix that.

Now, though, after having spent a couple of hours talking to Oniel, Vidya, and Adit online, I need to go to bed - Tammy's picking me up tomorrow morning and we're going to the zoo, where I will endeavor not to get eaten by a tiger. Goodnight!

No comments: