Tuesday, February 12, 2008

you know i don't like you, but you want to be my friend

I consider today to be my first official day off - last week just felt like a vacation, given that I was in Southern California the entire time. It also means that I have 174 days left until I have to go back to work, and that time is going to go waaaay too fast.

So, in order to embrace my freedom, I woke up at ten a.m., and promptly showered so that I could go into work and have lunch with Alaska Matt. Of course, we went to my favorite cafe, where I ran into a dozen people I know, all of whom were rather mocking about the fact that I was back so quickly. Embarrassing, right? But I wanted to see Matthew, and it would be nonsensical to pay for lunch when we can eat it for free at work. The sad thing was that Terry, Sean, and Fred all commented on how very relaxed I look - which somehow seems to imply that I looked like a hag a week ago, and now look slightly less haggish. I suppose that's a good thing?

After lunch, I went to Starbucks and intended to work on my romance novel for an hour or so, but I ended up just messing around on my laptop. Then, I went to get my eyes checked. I like my eye doctor, and I enjoy playing the game where he checks my peripheral vision by giving me a clicker and asking me to click every time I see a light in the periphery. It's like a contest, even though I never know if I've won. But, I don't like getting my eyes dilated - they stayed dilated for hours, and now I have a major headache :( I spent some time buying books in Mountain View, then came home and cleaned out my fridge and cabinets, and then had a lovely sushi dinner with Kim. I tried not to gloat over the fact that I'm taking time off, but it's hard. Then I came home, read a romance novel, and am now ready for bed.

I will say that taking time off is lovely - but I will also say that while I intend to indulge in some serious relaxation between now and when Katie leaves next week, I'm going to go crazy if I don't accomplish things starting shortly thereafter. But, who knows? I shall blog all about this in excruciating detail in the coming months, I'm sure, so right now I think I'll try to cure my headache by going to bed.

No comments: