Monday, February 25, 2008

the monkey on your back is the latest trend

I was quite sad tonight when, at precisely ten minutes before midnight, my Google Calendar popped up a reminder for an 'event' - the start of week 23 of my leave. While I was procrastinating from doing something more productive a few days ago, I put a countdown of the weeks of my leave on my calendar; the start of week 23 means that I have 23 weeks left, and have already burned three. Then again, I can't really call it 'burning', given how much fun I've had - Disneyland, San Diego, twelve lunches, ten dinners, several coffees, a party with my fellow expats, and Katie's visit have all contributed to the most action-packed three-week period I've had since the last time I moved away.

In fact, I think today was the first day since I left work that I didn't hang out with anyone. I was supposed to hang out with Vidya and watch the Oscars, but she is stranded someplace and may never make it home! So, I mourned her by Tivo'ing the Oscars and skimming what I wanted to see, although I didn't start Tivo'ing until after the ceremony started, and so I missed the red carpet. Oh, well, I should stop paying attention to celebrities anyway (but it's hard, they're so funny and ridiculous).

I started off the day with one last brunch at Mike's Cafe; I had the usual, but didn't say goodbye to the wait staff, because saying goodbye seems weird, although they will likely notice if I never come back. Then I came home and packed off and on for the next twelve hours (with a pretty hefty break for some Oscar coverage and a chat with my mother). I've now packed all of my books, all of my breakable memento-type things, all of my DVDs/CDs, and most of my cosmetics and hair products. This puts me up to six boxes that I want to take home, and thirteen boxes to store. This number must sadly increase substantially over the next couple of days - I still have to pack all of my clothes, cookware, and bedding (a Herculean task in and of itself, given my obsession with bedding), as well as empty out the storage unit that I've been renting and figure out what to do with all of that crap. Ugh.

Now it's almost four a.m., and I should really go to bed - I need to accomplish a lot tomorrow :( Goodnight!

No comments: