Saturday, February 09, 2008

a midget with cheap relatives

No, the title is not a description of me - in fact, I just looked it up, and I'm 1.5 inches too tall to join the Little People of America :(

Rather, the title is a quote from 'Fool's Gold', the new movie starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson, which opened today and to which I dragged Tammy. She demonstrated how selfless she is as a hostess by agreeing to see this with me, and buying my ticket as well. For those of you who saw 'Sahara', this is essentially the same treasure-hunting storyline as 'Sahara', only it takes place mostly on water rather than in a desert, and the bad guy is a rapper named Bigg Bunny instead of the French dude who played the Merovingian in 'Matrix Reloaded'. If I haven't sold you on it yet, then you most likely won't want to see it - the only reason to see it is if you like Matthew McConaughey or Kate Hudson. I would definitely rank it well above 'Failure to Launch', but it's below 'Sahara' in my book.

Tammy might think differently, though - after 'Fool's Gold', we had dinner at Buca di Beppo, and then rented 'Sahara' so that she could see it. She fell asleep around the time that Matthew McConaughey's character is fighting the dude on top of the solar power plant, and in general seemed less than enthused. She felt that the plot was nonsensical - apparently the utter charm of Al Giordino (Steve Zahn's character) wasn't enough for her :(

So I've had a great time in San Diego; Tammy and I spent a lot of quality time together, and basically just ate a lot and watched movies and went to the zoo, all of which was v. relaxing. It's been great to see her, although now I'll miss her all over again. Sadly, though, I need to go to bed - I have to get up in the morning and drive all the way from San Diego to San Francisco so that I can make it back in time for a party at Heather's house. Wish me luck!

No comments: