Thursday, August 21, 2008

laying a giant egg in the bird's nest

Bob Costas' commentary continues to amaze and delight, and by amaze and delight I mean annoy and delight. He is well on his way to being the Dick Clark of our time, given that he appears to have stayed the exact same age for the past three Olympics, but as is befitting of the 21st century, he's a little bit sassier. The fact that his commentary is so weird this time (like the quote in the title of my blog post, in relation to the performance of the American track and field team) obviously entertains me, but only on nights like tonight, when I've gotten enough sleep and am not cranky like I was on the night when he condescendingly told America that we just need to get over our sleep deficit.

But the diving commentator just said "It's very sad to watch a dream die" in relation to Laura Wilkinson's meltdown on the second and third dives of the women's 10m platform finals, which I thought was a great melodramatic line. And I can marvel over the Chinese divers -- even if they look like they've been starved, their dives are incredible. Although I must say that the female commentator doesn't seem to understand biology -- she's great at bitchy remarks about divers, but in regards to one of the Chinese divers, she said "she didn't blink during that handstand...there wasn't a single rapid eye movement". Unless she was expecting that the diver would go into a quick bit of REM sleep on the platform, that seems irrelevant.

I'm gonna finish watching diving and then go to bed; there was plenty that I could skip while catching up on last night and watching tonight's coverage, since they played the women's gold medal beach volleyball final, a long interview with those annoying gold medalists, a Cris Collingsworth piece on the men's beach volleyball players (it's easy to know to keep fast-forwarding because his teeth are so bright and wolf-like that they scare me away from the 'play' button), and are getting ready to show the men's beach volleyball final. This is good news, despite my dislike of beach volleyball, because it means a) beach volleyball is done, so tomorrow and Saturday aren't tainted, and b) I can go to bed tonight and not stay up until the end. Yay.

Tomorrow I have to go to work, obviously, and I'm hoping that Oniel and Katrina come over and watch Olympics tomorrow night. But overall I really need to get back to my book -- I was feeling really antsy and annoyed today, and I attribute it to the fact that I haven't really worked on the book since I got back to California. When I got home from work tonight, I had something approaching a vision about how I want my third book to open up. There's so much stuff about the next two books bubbling up while I'm commuting, cleaning my apartment, etc., and it's frustrating that I'm not working on them. I have no one to blame but myself, obviously, since I've been focused on playing, moving into my apartment, getting settled in at work, and watching the Olympics -- but starting this weekend, that all needs to change.

Now, after watching a "fifteen-year-old [thrill] her country with a dive for the ages" as the Chinese took gold and bronze in the women's 10m platform, it's time for bed!

No comments: