Sunday, August 24, 2008

wariner galloping through the stretch

Oddly enough, the only guy whose cuteness Cynthia Potter, the diving commentator, commented on during tonight's men's 10m platform finals was the 14-year-old from Great Britain. I would wag my finger at her and call her a creepy cougar, but last night I made a terribly inappropriate observation about the way that his tiny speedo drew attention to his package. Then I realized he was fourteen and felt a little ill. Then I blogged about it tonight! Sigh.

While I was watching the women's 4x400 relay, I thought that the call sounded like the announcing for the Kentucky Derby. Then, during the men's 4x400, Tom Hammond actually said 'there's Wariner galloping through the stretch', which seemed almost too perfectly tossed-in. Maybe the commentators have their own little inside jokes? Like Tom Hammond, Ato Bolden, and the others have their own points systems, and they score themselves on their ability to work in references to horse racing, the breakdown of USA Track and Field's leadership, 'it's a fair start', Wariner's coaching change at the beginning of the year, Usain Bolt's 'lightning', etc. And then, at the end of the Olympics, they'll tally it all up and give the winner a ridiculous prize. Or maybe the winner gets to participate in whatever virgin-killing, blood-drinking, soul-stealing ritual Bob Costas engages in to cleanse himself of his latest commentary and keep himself immortal! That would be awesome!

Today was pretty good; I got up this morning and ran some errands, and then drove to Pleasanton for Gyre's kid's first birthday party. That kid is seriously one of the cutest babies I have seen in my entire life; if you don't believe me, check out his blog. I got there around the same time as Lizzie, which gave us a chance to catch up. Pleasanton is a little less than an hour away from here, but I'm glad that I went, if for no other reason than that it was cold and foggy in San Francisco, and ninety degrees and cloudless in the east bay.

When I got home, I walked to Whole Foods (the nearest grocery store to my apartment) and bought lots of vegetables. Then I came home and made two different dinners: number one was veggie fajitas, complete with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream, which were totally awesome; number two was vegetarian chili, which I didn't eat tonight and which I will freeze after it's had a chance to cool down in the fridge. I was really hungry for something other than the turkey and pepperjack sandwiches I've been eating at home, and prepping some spicier stuff that I can freeze and then reheat at my leisure is one of my favorite strategies. I ate my fajitas while watching the men's marathon; normally I don't like eating while watching the Olympics because it makes me feel even more slothlike, but I find the marathon to be such a ridiculous pursuit that I had absolutely no problem scarfing down my guac-laden tortillas while watching a bunch of underfed guys torture themselves for two hours. Any sporting event named after a pseudo-historical incident in which the original 'athlete' died upon completing the event is an event that no one should really participate in, right?

I spent the rest of the night watching Olympics (yay diving and yay an Australian stealing gold from the Chinese diver who could have completed the full Chinese sweep of diving golds) and working on my romance blog. I'm still debating whether to use Blogger or Wordpress; I like some of the Wordpress themes better, but you have to pay to be able to edit your own CSS files, and I'm used to Blogger's ease-of-editing-HTML. So we'll see, but I want to get the romance blog built out over the next few weeks. But I suppose I should finish the book first, right? Regardless, I'm not going to think about it now; it's time for bed!

No comments: