Saturday, August 16, 2008

sex, drugs, and olympic watching

Actually I'm missing the sex and drugs part, but the Olympics have taken over my entire life. I woke up this morning after 5.5hrs of sleep, quickly showered, and hoofed it up the hill to the shuttle stop in time to make it to work. I have to say that the shuttle is pretty awesome; I took it last night and this morning for the first time, and I think it's great. I didn't get carsick at all, and was able to work on my laptop both last night and this morning. I think it will be good for me to have a chance to do emails in the morning and evening; when I got to work this morning, I was already caught up with emails, and I was able to get other things done. Combine that with the fact that I've been actively avoiding all news, video, blogs, and Olympics-related conversations this week to avoid finding out anything about the Olympics, and I've been remarkably effective.

So I worked all day, came home, and sped through the coverage from last night's women's gymnastics individual all-around. I was devastated about Shawn Johnson getting silver; while Nastia Liukin did a v. good job, and obviously silver is nice, I just adore her, and she must have been sad not to make it to the very top. I also got way too angry about the judges' scoring because I get way too excited about this kind of stuff. Then I took a fifteen-minute nap before Tammy got home -- it wasn't enough to rejuvenate me, but it was enough to get me through the night.

Tammy and I went out for dinner; the criteria were a) someplace within a couple of blocks, and b) something where we could drink something alcoholic. Using Yelp, I found Fina Estampa, which was a block and a half away; it's Spanish/Peruvian, which meant sangria, which meant awesome. When we walked in we were virtually the only people there, which gave us plenty of reason to think that we should go someplace else, but it turned out to be awesome. The sangria was good, the seafood paella was just about perfect, and Tammy and I had a v. entertaining conversation.

When we got back, we actually watched tonight's Olympics -- we're finally caught up on everything that happened the last few days (except for diving, which we're powering through tomorrow morning). The Michael Phelps race was absolutely incredible, and I'm glad we're moving into track and field. I also thought that Mark Spitz's interview was great. Tammy and I are just so super psyched about the whole Olympics thing, and I'm glad we're caught up. When I was getting off the bus today, the driver probably thought I was insane; the radio announcer mentioned Michael Phelps, and I immediately blocked my ears so effectively that I couldn't hear anything else, but that also meant I looked stupid and couldn't say goodbye to the driver. Ridiculous.

Now I'm going to bed, even though there's more Olympics to watch -- I'm just too exhausted to keep going right now. Goodnight!

No comments: