Thursday, February 26, 2009

the cops they'll steal your dreams and they'll kill your prayers

I'm in full corporate mode; I'm going to have to go hermit this weekend, since I need to go into full writer mode to compensate for my dangerous lapse back into workaholism. Today was the second day of our two-day offsite for my team's leadership group, and so I spent an absurd amount of time talking about the business. I had a moment of panic when I thought that I'd lost my favorite bracelet (a silver Celtic bangle that I bought on Iona when I went to Scotland last year) and ended up searching everywhere for it, but I was relieved to discover when I got home that I was just so tired and rushed this morning that I forgot to put it on for the first time in months. However, that reminds me of the entire trunkload of bangles that I have from India; maybe I'll have to start glittering it up in the coming days.

So work was fine, but I haven't answered emails in two days, I have meetings almost straight through tomorrow, and I have some major action items to cross off my list. Happily, I'm going to Hawaii in less than nine days! I can't wait -- dreams of sunshine keep me going when I'm sitting in my tenth meeting of the day.

After work, Heather (aka dear respected madam) rode back up to the city with me, and we had dinner at her favorite Thai place (Regent Thai, in the Mission). I'm so glad I got to spend some quality time with her over the past couple of days; she and Salim were in China when I came back from leave, and then they were back in the Bay Area for about a month (most of which I was home for the holidays) before moving to Boston. So, we caught up (i.e. gossiped) good and proper over the carpool and dinner, and it was all v. lovely. I'm totally excited to visit Boston next quarter, particularly since I have so many friends on both my work side and life side in that little corner of the Northeast.

Now, though, I'm going to try to go to sleep. I want to go in early tomorrow morning so that I can get shit done before my meetings -- I can't afford to stay late, since (as usual) I have to write a story for class sometime tomorrow night. Bleh.

But, as a final note, Sensitive Girl may be almost done crying. Last night, I sent follow-up emails to a couple of agents whom I'd queried six weeks ago, since both of their websites claimed a two-week turnaround time on queries. One responded this morning saying that she was currently reading queries that were sent in a couple of days before mine, so she should get to me soon, and that publishing has been crazy. The other hasn't responded yet. I took a look at my spreadsheet tonight and realized I'm down to seven pending (two have partial manuscripts, five haven't responded to the initial query yet), and so I'll probably send out a few more letters this weekend. I'm hoping that the agent who told me she's close to reading my query letter gets back to me, since she might be my top choice (she's based in SF, which would be nice), but I need to be querying more people if I'm going to get an agent this year. I shall think about that tomorrow, though; right now it's time for bed!

No comments: