Monday, February 02, 2009

high on a hill was a lonely goatherd

I saw the most amazing thing tonight. I watched an episode of Craig from last week, and he opened the show by doing a puppet performance of 'The Lonely Goatherd' from THE SOUND OF MUSIC. They performed the entire song, which was strange. Even stranger, the Julie Andrews part was voiced by a unicorn puppet, while the other voices were supplied by a frog, a shark, and a lion. The puppets were right in front of the camera, but they were clearly arm puppets (not marionettes). I can't explain why I thought this was so funny, but I watched it twice!

Today was a return to my old bad habits; I had an eight a.m. meeting (which I was really late for because I left late, traffic was bad, and I forgot that I needed to stop and get gas, and the first gas station was out), had meetings straight through until almost 5pm, and then I drove home, defrosted and ate some potato soup, and worked from 7pm until now. Granted, the worst of my old bad habits would keep me working for another couple of hours, but I draw the line now and demand eight hours of sleep unless there's a true emergency.

This is a good reminder, though -- I had intended to work on my book tonight and didn't because I had too much pressing work stuff. So perhaps I need to rein in my pressing desires to find something new/shiny/intriguing, since any attempt would necessitate doing more work, and I kind of like having a manageable workload. I think my antsiness can be traced directly back to the fact that I've been back at work and off of sabbatical for exactly six months today. Six months is the magic moment where I expect to switch things up, and with no switch in sight and no real desire to create one, my nomadic side is getting a little disheartened.

It's all good, though -- my team is awesome, and I just have to keep remembering to focus on the book (in the long run, even if I couldn't tonight). So now I'm going to go to bed -- I'll likely have to work some again tomorrow night, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to write as well. Goodnight!

No comments: