Sunday, August 08, 2010

when i win your heart, i'm gonna paint it cherry red

Today was one of those days where every word felt like a struggle and I just did not want to keep going -- but I managed to get almost all the way to 2000 words, which I'll take. I spent the morning avoiding my laptop; I lazed about in bed until almost ten, and then I finally unpacked from the conference and put everything (mostly) away. I'm getting tired of living in an unfinished space, and so I'm going to have to sacrifice some writing time in the near future to finish unpacking and do some decorating (and put the bed together that I got two months ago, which is still sitting in boxes strategically leaned up against walls throughout the house).

But, I managed to pull myself together and get out of the house, which helped the writing. Between a stint at Starbucks on Stanford Ave (which I *adore* now, with its new layout and furniture) and another forced march on my couch, I wrote 1954 words. They aren't pretty words, and I'm going to have to rewrite some of them, but at least they exist. Ferguson also strangely and unexpectedly got both a former mistress (who will demonstrate that he wasn't a true rake) and an elderly aunt named Sophronia (who will potentially serve as his marriage-minded conscience). I can't explain how odd it is for characters to show up and then sometimes feel like they could be more than just a walk-on part -- but it happens, and now I just need to make sure they really fit in with the rest of the book.

I finally threw in the towel just short of the goal so that I could retinsel my hair in honor of Oniel's birthday. I went with blue, and got it done in record time; now we'll see how many strands of tinsel fall out while I'm sleeping. Then, in a show of supreme affection, I actually drove to the east bay to celebrate Oniel's birthday -- he and his girlfriend Katie had a Jamaicaan themed dinner, which included this incredible food called a "patty" that was more like the best empanada you've had in your entire life. John and Jess were there, as were Folkman and Kristen, and Chris showed up a bit later (sans Connie), so it was great to catch up with all of them. Now that I'm back in the area for awhile (well, except for the trip to LA I'm taking next weekend), I need to start hanging out with all these people again. First plan: with John and Jess's encouragement, I'm going to try to restart watching movies with a whole slew of people. I used to go to the movies all the time, but after the disaster that was "King Arthur", people don't see movies with me anymore :( But since more people have moved to the south bay, perhaps I'll be able to bring the tradition back.

I'm falling asleep over the keyboard, so it's time for bed. I want to write tomorrow, do some laundry, and generally prepare to go back to work (boo), and so I need to go to bed so that I can wake up at a reasonable hour. Goodnight!


Daily word count: 1954 (97.7% of goal)
Productive time: 3hrs 15mins
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.4 (global average: 0.17)

No comments: