Sunday, August 01, 2010

only get closer to the point where i can take no more

It feels like it took forever to get home -- perhaps because, door to door from my hotel to my house, took twelve hours. The Orlando airport is a nightmare of screaming kids, tired parents, and congested security lines; I sacrificed a few dollar bills to check my luggage at curbside rather than stand in the 45 minute line for the regular check-in, but I still had to stand in line for over half an hour to go through security. I got to the airport about three hours before my departure time, but after all that madness, I really only had time to grab a coffee, eat some pizza, and buy a sandwich and other sundries for the flight before it was time to board.

My day started off perfectly. I had brunch with Grace and Tina at Kouzzina (the same Cat Cora restaurant I had dinner at earlier in the week), where I had some delicious poached eggs with artichoke spread and sweet potato hash; Grace and Tina are both great, and I'm hoping to work with them on my writing in the future. Then, I packed like the devil (if the devil ever packs for his travels; I assume he either doesn't need to pack anything, or has a demon valet to do it for him). Luckily, I checked my flight status before I left for the airport and discovered that my flight to Phoenix was delayed, which meant I was going to miss my connection to SF. So, I called Southwest before I left the hotel and got them to rebook me via Denver. While this meant that I ended up in the last group to board the flight out of Orlando, and so got stuck with a dreaded middle seat between a heavyset guy and a woman with a two year old (although the two year old was sweet and spent most of the flight with his dad across the aisle), at least I made it home tonight. As it turns out, I was lucky to make it out of Orlando when I did, since they had to halt ground operations for awhile shortly after we took off.

The landing in Denver was really rough and a little sickmaking -- we tried to land once and abandoned the attempt, and then circled several times. It was storming off and on there, which didn't make things easy, but we eventually landed, and I got on my SF flight without any incidents. And then I got to San Francisco, picked up my car, drove home, and am ready to crash.

I'm taking this week off to write, so I don't have to go into the office tomorrow -- but I do have to get up to write if I'm going to be at all successful with finishing this book. So, goodnight!

No comments: