Sunday, August 15, 2010

maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano

I should really go to sleep; I have to drive back to the Bay Area tomorrow afternoon, and I want to be well-rested for the long, annoying stretches of I-5. Terry and I had a fabulous day in Los Angeles, though, so even though it was twelve hours of driving for 42 hours of hanging out, it was definitely worth it. We sat around and did nothing for a couple of hours this morning, and then we met up with Allie for brunch in Santa Monica. Longtime readers/fellow Loro '02-'03 residents will remember Allie as me and Walter's co-RA; new readers probably have no idea what the first half of this sentence means. Either way, it was great to see her -- she seemed to be in fine form, and we had fun catching up and reminiscing.

After we parted ways, Terry and I drove down Rodeo Drive, went to a Nordstrom Rack (with no success), checked out the Farmers' Market (where she had a smoothie and I had a coke float), and then wandered around the mall by the market. I tried to convince her to buy this absolutely awesome jacket at Anthropologie and failed -- but I succeeded in enabling her to buy some wonderfully hot thigh-high boots at Nordstrom. Of course, my powers of persuasion ended up poisoning myself too, and you would not believe the shoes I bought -- 4.5" purple suede bootie/sandals with some absolutely wonderful/terrifying embellishment. I can't even describe them properly, so I will have to post pics when I get a chance to wear them (and now I'm hoping for autumn to hurry up and arrive). I'm clearly sliding down a steep hill toward my inevitable extreme eccentricity -- I suppose it's been nice to be normal, but I'm going to let a bit more of my inner ridiculousness come out, so be forewarned.

We came home and changed, and then we went over to Malibu to have mai tais and fish on the deck at Duke's, overlooking the ocean as the sun went down. It was absolutely incredible; when we first got there, I thought I was going to freeze to death despite my jeans, sneakers, and two (admittedly lightweight) sweaters because the wind was biting and the temperatures were not the stereotypical SoCal perfection. But, we relocated to a table under a heatlamp, and then the wind died, which made it wonderful. We had mai tais and crab wontons (which were a v. far cry from the "crab" rangoon one might get at Panda Express, not that I would ever consider eating at a mall food court chain, of course), and then Terry had sea bass with herb and parmesan sauce over rice, and I had ono "roasted firecracker" style, which involved a great sweet/hot chilli sauce over mashed potatoes and a salsa/relish of black beans and avocado.

Both our dishes were perfect, and I celebrated that fact by having another mai tai. After we had thoroughly caught up at the restaurant and enjoyed ourselves to the fullest, we came back, and in a moment of mildly-sauced weakness, I agreed to watch three episodes of "Bones". And yes, it is good, and I am v. disgruntled to admit it. Damn Terry.

However, Terry is a v. nice person -- she has made a reservation for us to have brunch at the Ivy tomorrow, which is the prime hotspot for D-list celebrities to see and be seen (per my favorite gossip site in the world), so I'm quite looking forward to that. And then, I need to drive back to Palo Alto, where my real life awaits.

You should have guessed by now that I didn't write today, but for completeness, stats are below. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: 0hr
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.34)

No comments: