Monday, August 09, 2010

lips and teeth to ask how my day went

I pride myself for having a way with words, but there are no words to express the utterly dismal feelings I had when returning to work today after two weeks off. I should have come back relaxed, rejuvenated, and ready for new challenges ahead; instead, I came back surly and dissatisfied, with absolutely no desire to vanquish the beasts lurking in my inbox. I did manage to get through my inbox and take care of some other tasks, but it wasn't my most productive day ever. Of course, it was good to have free food again, and I said hi to a couple of people I hadn't seen since before I left, but other than that, it was a rather lackluster day.

When I left work, traffic was backed up because of a Rush concert at Shoreline, which meant that it took me ten minutes to get out of the parking lot (the perils of sharing a single access road with one of the area's major amphitheatres). I swear that I could smell marijuana from the parking lot, which was a good half-mile away from the amphitheatre itself. But, I finally escaped, and made my way to Starbucks, where I wrote for a bit. Between that writing session and the writing I just did, I wrote ~800 words tonight, revising and mostly rewriting a scene in the second sequence of my book. I'm pretty happy with it, although we'll see if I feel the same way tomorrow when I tackle the scene that comes after it.

I spent some quality time this evening procrastinating on Twitter and Wikipedia; I should have read a book, but I wasn't in the mood to think about what I wanted to read next. And now, I should go to sleep; I need to be a bit more productive at work tomorrow so that I can get out early and write before having dinner with a friend. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 811 (40.55% of goal)
Productive time: 2.5hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.51 (global average: 0.34)

No comments: