Sunday, November 06, 2011

there's a log on the fire and it burns like me for you

Terry said today that she had no idea I was thinking of entrails and hangings last night whilst I was watching tv with her, so I feel compelled to point out that I wasn't thinking of any of that until the moment that I wrote last night's blog post. I don't know if it's worse that all of last night's post was stream of consciousness rather than a premeditated weirdness, but c'est la vie. I shall attempt to not be weird tonight, but since I had an unholy combination of white wine, red wine, bellinis, and rum punch over the past few hours, weirdness (or at least a headache) may be inescapable.

I awoke this morning to the knowledge that I needed to do a shitload of work, and so I promptly procrastinated. I hung out with Terry for awhile, then procrastinated in my room, then took a shower, then procrastinated some more. I was coughing up my lungs most of the morning and didn't feel like going out, but I felt like cooking even less than I felt like driving, so I eventually went to Morning Due with the intention of eating and working. However, it was extremely packed when I got there, and so I didn't get much done; instead, I stayed for an hour, then came home and worked. And I actually did work -- I wrote a little over four pages, which was not enough (it's never enough), but was at least respectable.

However, I wanted to watch the LSU/Alabama game with Terry, and so I went downstairs and drank some chardonnay with her while watching the first half. We also ate some of my leftover chili from last night, which was even better the second day (as per usual with soups). I was planning to stay in tonight and nurse the remnants of my cold, but Adit and Priyanka called to see if I was going to John and Jess's musicale party in the glorious south bay. Clearly I was intending to bail on it (and had rsvp'd as a maybe, since I was quite sick this week), but Adit and Priyanka knew just how to play me. They started by cajoling, then offered to give me a ride, then said that we could listen to PBS Frontline about "meth in America" all the way down (this was admittedly not a great negotiating tactic). But they saved the dagger to the heart for last, and finally reminded me that John and Jess come up to the city for all our shit. I caved at that guilt trip, and so Adit and Priyanka picked me up a little after seven (with me nursing my sweet mint tea, which was an odd decision after two glasses of chardonnay, but the tea is good for my throat).

We went down to the musicale, and I must admit that I had a lovely time despite my illness. The group was an odd mix of extremely talented vocalists (the minority) and untalented laypeople (the vast majority), and so Jess, her fellow student, and her music teacher sang several different songs. Then Adit and John had a haiku battle, which was quite entertaining. At some point Adit, Priyanka, Chris (aka Boyd) and I adjourned to the kitchen, where I proceeded to drink several glasses of wine in quick succession while we gossiped in whispers (not so subtle, I fear). Eventually, Boyd was convinced to play "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry on the guitar, which may be the only time in the history of the world in which Italian opera, haiku, and Eagle Eye Cherry were referenced in the same party. I also hung out with an old coworker and her husband, which was fun, and generally had a great time (particularly after some rum punch was foisted upon me -- sigh).

Adit, Priyanka and I left before the party was fully over since we had to drive back to the evil city, and they dropped me off at my door before speeding off into the night. And now I must go to sleep; I have brunch plans in the morning, and while I shall gain an hour in my sleep, I fear it's not enough to save me from a well-deserved wine hangover. Goodnight!

No comments: