Saturday, February 18, 2012

we might be laughing a bit too loud but that never hurt no one

I was told that my blog has been bad lately, since I'm mostly incoherent and semi-crazy (or vice versa) -- and for that I would apologize if I could remember the words. But it's not going to get better this weekend, even if there is a light at the end of the tunnel (yes, I'm using cliches -- sorry). I was too tired to work particularly effectively today, so I'm going to go to bed at the v. early hour of 11pm and hope that sleeping in my own bed rejuvenates me enough to continue the war tomorrow. We go over the top at dawn, as they say (or as they said in World War I, which I realize was almost a century ago, which seems crazy -- although why it seems crazy I don't know, since it's not like it was in my lifetime, but there was a time in my lifetime when there were still WWI veterans around and now they're all gone, like the WWII veterans soonish will be -- anyway, sorry, will cut off the tangent now). Luckily I don't face mustard gas when I emerge from my trench to go over the top (sorry, tangent came back!), but I've probably had enough caffeine to pickle my innards anyway.

Phew. Must rein in my thoughts and produce something coherent or you'll all leave me, and that would make me a sad panda. I woke up at 8:30 this morning, took care of a bit of stuff online, packed the rest of my belongings, talked to my agent for half an hour (nothing exciting, just going over logistical stuff around getting Heiress out to more channels, since we're out of the exclusive phase with B&N next week and it should go up onto Kindle on Friday!!), took a shower, and left Santa Cruz around 10:45. I was sad to leave, even if it's going to be great to sleep in my own bed. I drove straight to Palo Alto, where I had a salad at Sprout, then sat on a park bench (if it was covered in urine, it was at least dry urine) and talked to Katie for a glorious half-hour. Properly rejuvenated (okay, not rejuvenated at all, but I was in high spirits even if I was exhausted), I went to the stationery store and bought some silver Sharpies to use when signing bookmarks (since it's apparently all the rage to use metallic Sharpies at signings -- good enough excuse for me), then went to Stanford library and slogged until 9pm. It wasn't the most effective slog ever, and I took a break to leave campus at 5 and get some Chipotle (eating Chipotle three days this week probably wasn't wise either, but c'est la vie). But what I wrote was excellent, and if I buckle down tomorrow, I think I can finish the last scenes tomorrow so that I can proofread the last half of the manuscript on Sunday...

...and that means I have to avoid getting drunk at Adit and Priyanka's party tomorrow night, and as devoted readers of the blog know, avoiding alcohol in a setting like that is not exactly my strong suit. In fact, it was with Adit that I had a disastrous run-in with a bottle of port the night before my senior thesis was due. This feels all too similar to that, so may history not repeat itself (or if it does, may it repeat itself with something better than port). And now, I must sleep so that I can slog brutally tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: