Friday, February 24, 2012

international love

I'm curled up in a comfy bed in Long Beach, about to sleep even though it's not quite 10pm. I flew down this morning, which necessitated getting up at 6:30am, which is the earliest I've gotten up in...I don't know when. 6:30 is not my friend. But I managed to drag myself out of bed, into the shower, into some clothes, and to the airport (thanks to a ride from Terry, who dropped me off on her way to work), where I got onto the flight with no issues at all. However, getting up that early left me feeling jetlagged all day (to be fair, I haven't been sleeping and have been running on fumes for a couple of weeks, so it's little wonder I'm exhausted).

So, when I got to the hotel around 11:30, I did a bit of work, and then slept from 12:30 to 1:30. Then I went downstairs and had a salad, which might have been good, but made me feel kind of ill, so I had some tea and came back upstairs to work. However, I only ended up working for half an hour; a woman I met a couple of weeks ago from the San Diego romance chapter texted me to ask if I wanted to meet her and three friends for drinks. We were already planning to have dinner together, but they were already hungry, so I went back downstairs. And as it turns out, we spent four hours in the lobby bar/restaurant, where I had three glasses of wine and some panna cotta, which was one of the best things I've had in a long time (probably because I've been avoiding desserts). So needless to say, my alcohol:food ratio today was pretty off, since food is making me feel sick, but c'est la vie. And the women were v. nice, so I'm glad that I met them all -- it was good to hang out and make connections, and hopefully I'll see them again at future events.

I got up to my room about forty-five minutes ago and took care of some emails, but I'm clearly in no state to do edits, and if I go to bed now I can sleep for nine hours and still get up in time to have breakfast before the event tomorrow. So that's what I shall do - goodnight!

No comments: