Thursday, February 16, 2012

me against the music

I'm out of words for the day, and my fingers don't want to touch the keys, and my eyes don't want to try to unscramble and reorder all the letters, so I need to wrap this up. I was v. productive today, despite not waking up until 10:30; I took care of email, wrapped things up around the studio, took a shower, ate some gross leftover Chipotle, and then adjourned to Starbucks, where I edited for hours and hours (and hours and hours). I was there from 2ish to 8:30ish, with a break for sushi, before coming back to the studio and collapsing on the couch. Sad fact #1 was that I only made it through eighty pages of edits (which is actually respectable -- the first half is more dire than the second half, so I knew it would be a brutal slog a la invading Russia in winter). Sad fact #2 is that I couldn't stop when I got home. I had to answer questions for a guest interview that will be up on some blog at some point in the future (I hate promo), and it took almost two hours because I try to be witty and concise and to the point, and readers of this blog know I have trouble with all three of those things when I'm tired and strung out on caffeine.

But I finished the interview, answered some email, and then (because I couldn't bear the thought of editing more stuff from scratch), I input the first thirty pages' worth of edits on my computer. But I can't keep my eyes open anymore, and there's no sense pushing myself to keep going when I'll just make mistakes -- so I'm going to go to bed, set my alarm for 9:30, and start it all again. Wheeeeeee! If y'all want to see me in person at some point...maybe don't expect to see me for awhile. It's gonna be a rough week or two, but the end for this book is definitely, truly in sight at this point -- even if that means the reboot of Ellie and Nick's book is approximately one day beyond the end of this one. Goodnight!

No comments: