Thursday, August 23, 2012

rumors follow everywhere you go

I had a v. eventful day...I woke up at 5:45, snoozed for a bit, and then got ready and was out the door by 6:45 to go to the airport. Check-in was smooth, I grabbed an earl grey tea for the plane, and I boarded early so I could stow my stuff and start reading this awesome book I checked out from Stanford (MONSOON TRADERS, about the East India Company - what else, right?). But just before the plane took off, the flight attendant told the guy sitting next to me he couldn't have his laptop in his lap since we were sitting in the bulkhead row, and so she put it up in the overhead bin. Then she lifted my book, told me it was too heavy, and took it away from me and put it overhead as well. WTF?! So I was reduced to doing the crossword puzzle until the seatbelt sign went off, since I couldn't get my book down. And yet the fact that I was holding twenty ounces of potentially-boiling liquid wasn't a concern at all. And btdubs, the book wasn't really that big - it was a hardcover, but it was skinny enough that I read the whole thing between SF and Iowa, even with that inconvenience and with the nap I took on the second plane. Grr.

But, the entertainment system on my side of the plane wasn't working and so I got a voucher, which sort of makes up for tings since I wouldn't have used the entertainment system anyway, so it feels like I won (?). When I got to Denver, I left the security of the airport and met up with Katie, who came out to the airport to have lunch with me since I had a 3.5hr layover. She had her baby three weeks ago, and it appears that the baby has supplanted me in her affections - but the baby is adorable, so I can understand her affections. It was lovely to see Katie and to meet Anne; Katie picked me up and we had lunch at Ruby Tuesday's, which Anne slept almost all the way through. And then Katie took me back to the airport just in time for me to go back through security (which takes forever in Denver), and I got to my gate just as they were starting to board. My flight to Des Moines was utterly uneventful (and I got to keep my book) - and I was upgraded to first class, so I got wine in a real glass and coffee in a real mug, and it was all delightful.

My parents picked me up (yay for parents), and we had dinner in Des Moines, which took awhile since there was a fifteen-minute wait for a table (unheard of! but it's Restaurant Week in Des Moines, so I guess they were busier than usual). So I got my first steak of the trip, and we discussed food and low-carb and all sorts of related topics. Then we drove home, with a stop at the grocery store in Indianola to stock up on produce, the kefir yogurt I've started making smoothies with, and gluten-free bread. And then we talked in the kitchen until 12:30, which was super late for them and was even making me a bit exhausted. But when I came downstairs, I decided to unpack so that I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow...and then I had to read up on the latest developments with the Prince Harry naked photos (no developments)...and now I really should go to bed so that I can get up before noon tomorrow (unlikely, given the time change). Goodnight!

No comments: