Monday, January 07, 2013

but i've gotta keep an eye out for selena

Today was v. focused on friendship and family time; after nearly three weeks in Iowa and many weeks of enforced hermitville before that, I was ready for a bit of a break. It didn't help that my head was killing me, thanks to some ill-advised/accidental gluten consumption - but friends seemed to make it better tonight.

The day started with book club; we read MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE, which I already shared my thoughts on during my New Year's Eve post since I read that book rather than doing anything social/interesting to ring in 2013. We didn't spent a lot of time discussing the book, though; instead, we spent a lot of time enjoying the food and the mulled wine provided by Katrina, who outdid herself as the hostess, and catching up on each others' most recent activities. After book club, Terry and I came home, and I spent a couple of hours lying in bed nursing my headache, alternating between talking to my parents and reading a book.

And I intended to keep reading all night, too...but at 5:55pm, I got a text from Adit asking if I wanted to go to the 6:30 show of ZERO DARK THIRTY. I initially said no, but since he said they weren't going out after in a way that would make it possible for me to meet up with them, I said yes instead. So, I put on pants and went to the Kabuki, where I saw a sign saying it was sold out. Luckily, some other friend of his went and bought tickets for us...but unluckily, we were in the very front row, which is a little uncomfortable for waterboarding and explosions. Not as uncomfortable as *being* waterboarded, of course, although I did feel a bit awkward eating popcorn during torture (excuse me, enhanced interrogation), so I didn't snack as much as I usually do during movies. Chandlord was there as well, but this wasn't really the kind of movie you chatted through, so we didn't really catch up. However, I'd say that I liked the movie - it was very well-acted and well-shot, although the ending was spoiled if you've seen any news reports about Bin Laden in the past two years.

After the movie, we parted ways with the people who bought or tickets, and Adit, Priyanka, Vidya and I had some low-key family time at Fat Angel, a gastropub (I'm so fancy) near the theatre. And we proceeded to catch up on life over wine and cheese, which was v. necessary. Now, though, I'm home and dreaming of seeing more movies - I may go to another one tomorrow, since I want to see almost everything that is out right now and I'm running out of time. Goodnight!

No comments: