Sunday, January 20, 2013

out here the good girls die

Blergh - I really wanted to go out tonight. Like, genuinely. Which, if you've read this blog for any length of time, has been rare over the past few months, since I've been under increasing (and, I realize, entirely self-induced and unrealistic) pressure to finish Nick and Ellie's book. But, per the self-induced, unrealistic pressure issue, I couldn't bring myself to do it. So I skipped out on three different, unrelated plans for the evening (the contenders being drinks with the Adit/Folkman/Jav crew, a 'Mustache Harbor' concert with the Katrina/Chandlord crew, and an Edwardian ball with the romance writer crew) and stayed in and wrote instead.

At least this time when I forsook my friends, I actually felt proud about what I accomplished - I wrote eighteen pages, thus finishing the new scenes that I needed to write. BOOM.

Of course, there's still work to be done, and I need to tweak the last four chapters to fix continuity issues with the scenes I added, which will probably necessitate writing another new page or three. But the bulk of the new stuff is done. And that means I can spend the next two days editing, fixing, and doing the research to fix tiny issues in places where I hadn't bothered to look up what kind of trousers the dudes would be wearing during that year or whether he would have shown up on horseback or in a curricle or carriage, etc., etc. I also need to rename some characters (I can't have two people named Marcus and Dorcas fall in love with each other, and really, Dorcas is a terrible name). And I need to proofread and format. So, getting it all done by Monday night is unlikely, but I'm on track to finish this week, I think, regardless of everything else going on.

The rest of my day was mostly focused on productivity. I went to one of my favorite cafes around 10:30 and worked there for a few hours, with a break to have some impromptu family time with Adit (some people call him the cat) and Priyanka. They were in good form, and I pitched them on [censored]'s idea for [censored] - who knows, if the cost of living keeps rising out here and people start realizing the joys of open space, it may happen. Then, I came home, took care of some stuff around the house, took a nap, and wrote until now. And now that I've blogged AND written eighteen pages, I'm out of words and must sleep immediately - goodnight!

No comments: