Thursday, January 03, 2013

your kiss is on my list

I have returned to California. It is cold here, but not nearly as cold as the frigid sixteen-degree air I walked through between the parking garage and the Des Moines airport sans coat, which truly woke me up. Not that I hadn't been awake before; I woke up at 7:30 so that I could shower, finish packing, and straighten my room before leaving for the city of corn. I drove up with my mom in ye olde Sunfire, since my dad needed to drop his truck off for a checkup - the difference between her Sunfire and his three-quarter-ton diesel truck is truly astounding. We picked him up at the dealer, and we had time for lunch at Johnny's (of course) before they dropped me off at the airport. My bag weighed in at exactly 49lbs, which made me proud of my packing skillz, and I got upgraded to first class on the first leg, which made me feel v. fancy.

Anyway, I said goodbye to my parents, which was sad since the holidays are now well and truly over and I need to get back to the grind. Also, I have no trips planned until April, which is shocking since I haven't spent more than three weeks at home in a row since last April (with the except of 4.5wks in October/early November - such a luxury). When you say it like that, it's a wonder I've written anything at all.

The trip was good, though, with v. few babies and plenty of time to nap, read a 50-page story someone had sent me to critique, and start reading a book (which I'm not sure whether I love or loathe). I landed in SF around 5:30, my lovely roommate picked me up, and we went to Celia's for Mexican because I wanted margaritas and I didn't want to go to the other Mexican restaurant in San Bruno b/c they had a v. loud singer there last time - only to walk into Celia's and find a full-on mariachi band playing next to the booth they seated us at. Grr. But supper was tasty and it was great to catch up with Terry, as per usual. And now, after having watched some tv and read some books, I should really sleep - I have a million things to do tomorrow to feel settled again, and I can't wait to tackle them. Goodnight!

No comments: