Saturday, January 05, 2013

every time i see you oh i try to hide away - but when we meet it seems i can't let go

Happy Friday! Not that Fridays mean much in my current state; they really only mean that other people may want to hang out at some point, but otherwise, my days all blur together in the most incomprehensible way. It doesn't help that there was a holiday (for everyone else) earlier this week and I just got back to California last night, but today really didn't feel like Friday - and since it didn't feel like Friday, I shall give myself a pass for the fact that I was in my pajamas by 7:30 and am about to go to bed. Yay.

Today was excellent, though, even if I didn't sleep as late or as soundly as I had hoped. Not that I could sleep that late - I had an eleven a.m. lunch date at my former place of employment, which means I had to shower and dry my hair and figure out what to wear from the bleak remnants of my closet (okay, that's a total exaggeration - I have enough clothing to clothe an army of midget hipsters). Lunch was good, albeit gluten-y, and it was nice to catch up. I then left, went to Palo Alto to check my mailbox, talked to my mother (you would think she would be sick of me by now, but she's either genuinely interested in my life or is good at faking it), and drove back to the city of sin without encountering any traffic (Christmas miracle!).

I didn't stay home for long, though; I had a longstanding late-afternoon appointment to get my bangs trimmed, and I also got my eyebrows tinted and waxed (thus staving off the moment where I turn into my grandfather for another three weeks) and a v. necessary facial. Okay, the facial wasn't necessary in the strictest sense of the word (or even a looser sense of the word), but my skin was v. dry and red and sad from the frigid wasteland that I've just returned from, and my facial/waxer lady is pretty much the most amazing aesthetician I have ever met in my life. And she laughed at me recounting the tale of 'My Life As A Turkey' without burning my face off or stabbing my cornea with an extraction tool in retaliation, so we clearly get along swimmingly.

Feeling like a lady again (albeit a lady with post-extraction redness and general un-made-up shine), I grabbed some groceries and takeout sushi from the Whole Foods across the street from the salon, then came home, ate said sushi, and thoroughly cleaned the kitchen in an attempt to reassert control over my life. I also did three loads of laundry over the course of the day, fully unpacked my suitcase, and spent some time writing some notes about a possible Madeleine/Ferguson novella that may or may not happen in the next two weeks. Aggressive, I know. But if I'm going to be aggressive and get tings done, I need some sleep first -- goodnight!

No comments: