Sunday, May 26, 2013

we're up all night to get lucky

Today was a lovely, albeit exhausting, day - I managed to get some sleep on the flight from SFO to NYC, although five hours wouldn't have been enough even if it was fully and blissfully uninterrupted in my own bed. But I got into Newark on time, took some time to freshen up in the bathroom, and then caught a cab to Grand Central, where I had approximately fifteen minutes to buy a train ticket and catch the train to New Haven. This was perfect timing, since I got into New Haven at eleven and was picked up by Zach (aka Pincubus) and Claudia (aka The Claude, aka Claud the Fraud). We came back to Zach's place, grabbed Maggie (aka Mrs. Pincubus), and went out for brunch at a local New Haven hotspot. Then we came home and spent the afternoon continuing to catch up, with a break outside to walk to a conservatory and enjoy the many and varied succulents and cacti.

Post perambulation, we came back to the house and made dinner. And by this I mean Maggie and Zach made dinner and Claude and I mostly tried to stay out of the way. We had a couple of tasty gin-based drinks in our noble effort to help Zach and Maggie winnow out their alcohol supply, and then we had a lovely dinner of black eyed peas with chard, rice, and tomato and feta salad, with mangoes and blueberries for dessert. Then, we decided to up the camp quotient and watch 'Beneath the Candelabra', the Liberace biopic starring Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. My verdict was that I thought their performances were incredible (as was Rob Lowe's face), but I was reminded that I often don't love biopics because it's hard to tell a compelling story arc with someone's life, particularly when multiple lives don't tie up together at the same time with neat little bows. But I'm still glad I watched it. And now, I need to sleep; we have grand plans to hang out some more tomorrow before I head to NYC and the day job tomorrow night, so I should get my beauty sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: