Tuesday, May 28, 2013

when i hear those voices at night

I should have gone to bed a million years ago, but I'm living the hip NYC life. The hip NYC life in a capsule hotel, which may make a little claustrophobic, but it feels v. hip nonetheless. I spent the day at the NYC office, which is in a massive building that takes up an entire city block and is super confusing to the uninitiated (or those who can't read maps that say which floors each elevator bank stops on, since we have parts of a bunch of different floors, none of which you can access from wherever you happen to be). But the pieces of the building that I saw when I wasn't utterly lost were totally nice. So nice, in fact, that I had a moment of wishing that I could move to New York. That moment stabbed itself in the face when I remembered that NYC's version of waste management is for every building to pile trash bags on the street until someone comes along to pick them up or the mythical Rat King of New York (tm) turns them into his fiftieth summer palace. I don't think I could handle that level of squalor nearly as well as I handle my liquor.

But I digress. Work was fine, and then I took the subway back to my hotel, where I was theoretically going to work until I realized I had no interest in working. Then I was theoretically going to write, but I had no interest in that either. So I read a lot of stuff on the internet, took a nap, and then went out for an unnecessarily-late 10pm dinner with Terry and Annie. Annie is in town from Australia and Terry is in town to see Annie, and they invited me out for dinner after the show they went to see. The food was excellent (steak, can't lose) and the company was also excellent, and it was all worth it even if I didn't get home until midnight. I spent the last hour doing work because I'm a stupid, uncontrolled addict, and now I'm going to go to sleep so that I can be worth a damn in my day of meetings tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: