Thursday, May 09, 2013

you already won me over

I wanted to stay up and write tonight, but I'm beyond exhausted; going back to the day job on five hours of sleep wasn't the best move in the world, even if there was nothing I could do to change it. But, I got up in time to stop at a coffeeshop on the way out of the city and grab a latte, so I survived the drive down to the glorious south bay. Then, I sat in a mixture of meetings all day, with just enough time at my desk to get caught up on some stuff without having enough time to actually fall asleep in my chair.

But, rather than drive home and risk killing myself, I left my car on campus and took the shuttle home, which gave me an hour and a half to sleep. Then, I answered a few Sara Ramsey emails and wrote for half an hour, which netted me a page and a half -- not the million pages I wanted to write, but it's a page and a half more than I had before, so I'll take it. I need to get better about writing in those odd twenty or thirty minute chunks between activities, rather than feeling like I can only write when I have hours stretching out in front of me.

I threw in the towel when Terry got home, though, and we had a roommate dinner at Tortilla Heights. There was much to catch up on since I'd been gone and she has also taken a trip to NYC during my absence, so we caught up over margaritas and too many chips. Then we came home, I came upstairs with the intention of writing (but got sucked into some more Sara Ramsey email/business stuff), and only wrote another few sentences before realizing I would be better served by going to bed. But hopefully I can write tomorrow night, and all day Sunday - Saturday is potentially turning into a wash, unless my jetlag continues and I get up at six a.m. of my own accord. Goodnight!

No comments: