Monday, June 09, 2014

i'm in the fast lane from la to tokyo

As per usual, spending time in the New York office just makes me want to move here. I woke up at a reasonable hour, showered, walked across the street, and was in the office by around 8:30, which was perfect timing for getting breakfast before sitting down to slog. I have a ton of stuff to catch up on, as is to be expected, and I barely made a dent in it today. But I couldn't really make a dent because the whole point of being here is to meet with people, so I had meetings, had lunch with a coworker, etc., etc.

However, by four p.m. my toe was still hurting and my hypochondria was kicking in, so I left the office, bought some nail polish remover, came back to the hotel, and removed my toenail polish so that I could better examine the damage. And the verdict: my toenail is pretty blue. Also, my toe feels a little numb (when it's not hurting). Also, I can't bend it perfectly. So...I'm not a very happy camper about this.

But there's no rest for the wicked, so I worked from the hotel for another hour, then met a writer friend (Maya) at a Mexican place down the street, where we had two margaritas each, an order of guacamole, and a big heaping side of publishing industry gossip. We're in the throes of an early friend-crush (I met her in New Orleans), so we're having breakfast in the morning to continue the conversation. But I abandoned her to have a friendship renewal dinner with the Original Jen Lui (tm) and Jen's fiance, which made for a wonderful evening; I hadn't seen her in over a year, so we were long overdue to catch up.

Sadly, though, I'm now totally out of energy and am going to go to bed immediately so that I can get eight hours of sleep before getting up, packing, checking out, having breakfast, and slogging incessantly. Goodnight!

No comments: