Friday, December 19, 2014

how am i gonna be an optimist about this

First and foremost, happy birthday to two of my favorite people: my mother (aka Jeanie Baby) and Chandlord (aka Vidius Chandicus)! Such an auspicious day!

Second and lessermost, I gave a presentation at eleven a.m. today, which went as well as I could have hoped...and as soon as it was over, I basically went into vacation mode even though I technically still had the rest of today and tomorrow to work. But it's been a really long quarter, and this was the last major thing on my agenda, and so I threw in the towel. That meant walking back to my office (and running into Dontae, who I managed a lifetime ago, and realizing that he also knows Viviana (a current member of my team), which was a surreal connection), and then having lunch with Dave at the new salad place on campus (verdict: I made a lot of bad choices, but it somehow turned out okay despite my inability to pick a course and stick to it...so despite having both chicken and carnitas, I somehow enjoyed it). And then I spent the afternoon taking some desultory meetings, leading another meeting (to which I brought champagne to celebrate being done with the presentation), and generally finishing things up and socializing with a variety of coworkers.

The late afternoon/evening was a shitshow; traffic was awful, as per usual, but I went to downtown MV to pick up something, talked to my mother for awhile, went to my favorite coffee place in PA to fortify myself for the drive, and finally left the south bay at 7:15, which meant I made it home in an hour and fifteen minutes (I know, so awesome). I sat at home and stared at the wall and ate some scrambled eggs and tried to decompress, but there wasn't enough decompression before it was time for the main event...

...and the main event was Chandlord's birthday party at Martuni's. She was in fine form even though she's now old, and I had an excellent time despite overheating and dying since I wore the sweater I wore to work rather than changing into something more bar-appropriate. Claude was there, which was delightful. Terry was also there, which was a lovely surprise, although she left two hours before I did. I also saw Maya, spent some quality time catching up with Jess, hung out with Adit and Priyanka, got relationship advice from Omar, and briefly chatted up Katrina and Rajiv. Yay.

I made it to midnight, but only barely...and now I must sleep if I have any hope of crushing my massive to-do list before leaving for Iowa. Goodnight!

No comments: