Saturday, December 20, 2014

blank space

I'm in Iowa, safely tucked into my childhood bed (which actually doesn't resemble my childhood bed at all, since it's queen-sized and is in a room with central heat - good thing since my blood is now mostly Californian and I would freeze to death sleeping in the non-centrally-heated bedroom of my youth), after the smoothest day of travel I could have wished for. I made it to the airport early, which was a good thing since the lines were v. long, but I still had time for a (somewhat rushed) breakfast before boarding my flight to Denver. I spent the flight napping and reading, which was perfect...

...and then things were even more perfect when I left the secure area of the Denver airport and met Katie in the terminal for a long, leisurely, somewhat tasty lunch. We had a little less than two hours together, which can never be enough but was sufficient to catch up better than our brief, sporadic phone conversations. She brought Julia (the new baby) with her, who was adorable, and who seemed quite content to let me hold her for long stretches of time, which made my ovaries greedy until my liver (and the glass of wine I had with lunch) put them back in their place.

sssanyway, it was awesome to see Katie, even if getting older sucks and our problems aren't as fun as the problems we had in our youth. We eventually were forced to part ways, and so I went back through security, boarded without incident, and flew to Iowa. My parents and [censored] picked me up, and we had supper at our usual steakhouse (although I made the excommunication-worthy decision to order salmon, since it's unlikely I'll have any fish in the next two weeks). We made it back to the southernmost part of the state without incident, and now I'm going to hopefully sleep for a million hours. My plans for this break consist of nothing more than reading a lot of books, beginning to think about Rafe and Octavia's story, and perhaps doing some kettlebell workouts...all of which sounds better than staring at a screen for hours on end. Goodnight!

No comments: