Thursday, July 14, 2016

if i had the chance i'd ask the world to dance

I had an awesome first real day of the conference (although technically it still doesn't start until tomorrow, but since I just talked for about twelve hours straight, I'm going to count today as a conference day as well). I woke up after some v. fitful sleep, made more fitful by my temporary roommate's white noise app - the white noise was some kind of water theme, and I think I had to pee like five times last night as a result. Stupid.

Luckily, I switched rooms and roommates today, so no more white noise for me! I got up, showered, and checked out of the old room at ten, but the new room wasn't ready, so I stashed my bags and met up with Nalini for a couple of hours. We mostly chatted for the first hour and had an awesome time, and I got to eat some of the gluten free cookies that a German blogger had brought to her (Nalini's in a whole different stratosphere of success and has some super rabid fans because of her paranormal books, which tend to attract rabidity in fandom - so people come up and give her gifts, which is v. interesting). Then we actually wrote for half an hour, which was great - I thought about Lucretia for a little bit, and I hope to repeat that feat tomorrow.

After that, my roommate (whom I know as Sarah, but who is also Vivi and Lizzie) arrived, and we had a delightful lunch in the hotel - we have a ton to catch up on, and we started the process over food, which was v. welcome. Then, I had a business meeting with one of the retailers (fun), and then I did a bit of personal work before meeting up with Erin (a historical writer who is not the historical writer named Erin with whom I roomed last night) for a margarita and some discussion of non-traditional historical romances - very timely, since I kind of want to set my next series in Vienna in 1814 and that's not exactly common.

Then, oddly, I had a blast from the past - one of my former coworkers was in town for the conference rather unexpectedly, and she emailed this morning to see if I wanted to meet up. I loved working with her back in the day (Amanda was basically the second-in-command on the partnerships side, and I always liked her even when I was frustrated with her boss), so I was very glad to see her (and to get my former employer to buy me a glass of wine and some guacamole). We talked for an hour, and then one of her minions (Anna) joined us for another forty minutes, and it was great to hang out with both of them. And Anna kept saying how relaxed and happy I look, which is true, but may have also been because I was rocking a chic black jumpsuit and gold sandals, which is so far removed from what I wore at work that I must have looked like I am living a totally different life (which I am, I guess - #sorrynotsorry).

After that, I had like twenty minutes to check in to my new room, grab my bags, run upstairs, powder my nose (with real powder, not cocaine - I'm in San Diego, not Hollywood), and run back downstairs to meet up with people to go to Christie's house for a party. She lives here, so she had people over, and it was so fun - great to see her house, great to eat her food, and fun to hang out. But I bailed early because I was so exhausted, so I shared an uber back with a friend who works at Apple, and then I unpacked and washed my face and talked to my roommate a bit more.

And now that I've recapped all of that, it's really time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: