Saturday, August 20, 2016

i've touched this place before somewhere in another time

I spent almost all of today homemaking, which means I'm wiped out but may be able to feed and clothe myself for awhile. I had intended to get up and write this morning, but I didn't set my alarm and I ended up sleeping until 9:30, which I guess is what I needed (and I kind of hope I repeat that feat tomorrow). That long sleep set me up for a morning of slothfulness, which is probably also what I needed.

But then I got down to business - I did laundry, made my shopping list, and started tearing apart my kitchen to figure out what I need, what I need to throw out, and how to better organize things so that I can cook more aggressively in a small space. When my laundry was done, I drove to Whole Foods and managed to hit at exactly the right time for ample parking (where 'ample' equals 'more than two spaces available in the garage') and short lines. This was a good thing, since the shopping itself took forever - as mentioned last night, I'm moving toward cooking/eating no added sugar, along with a variety of other things to cut (I'm dubbing it 'Whole30ish', since I'm cutting the grains/legumes/sugars like Whole30 but allowing myself cream and butter because ain't nobody got time to make ghee all the time, and also allowing slightly less militancy when going out for dinner with friends). So I spent an exorbitant amount of time and money tracking things down for the recipes on my list - now that I have things like coconut oil (and coconut aminos, which seems like some sort of sorcerer's trick) and more spices, hopefully shopping won't take as much time/money in future trips. Of course, discovering that Whole Foods sells pre-julienned zucchini for zucchini noodles means there will probably be times when I prioritize quality of life over saving money, but we'll see.

sssanyway. When I finally got home, I proceeded to thoroughly clean the rest of my kitchen and take out the compost and recycling. Then I made a thai beef stirfry with cauliflower rice - it was slow going, mostly because I'd never made either recipe before and had to keep adjusting. But the end result was really, really good (and I could see it being even better if I turned the stirfry into a curry.

Of course, tonight wasn't a perfect exercise in restraint...I heard the Coke commercial one too many times and made myself a coke float (which I deeply, deeply enjoyed - I haven't had a coke float in forever, but I happened to have ice cream and coke leftover from my Olympics party, since they're not usually staples in my house). So after my tasty, healthy meal, I indulged in   sugar bomb, which promptly put me to sleep.

And now I need to take out my contacts and go to bed and dream of all the things I want to get done tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: