Wednesday, August 31, 2016

when you're ready, i'm ready

I had a lovely day, all in all. Of course, this morning was kind of a mess - I needed to unpack from my brief sojourn to the mountains, and I have no edible food in the house beyond some cream, apples, and canned tuna (well, no edible food if you are avoiding sugar/grains/legumes/alcohol, etc. - I could have had granola or popcorn or pasta or other things if those things were allowed. So I ate an apple for breakfast, and I ordered a salad from uber eats for lunch (verdict: the salad itself was not worth it, but the delivery was good and it kept me from starving, so whatever).

I did some work from home this morning - I need to reformat my early books so that I can turn them into a boxed set, and this requires some monkey work on my part. I didn't finish the monkey work before it was time to leave the house - I had a writing date with Anne (and only Anne), and I didn't want to be late. Since it was just the two of us and I had plans in the south bay later, we decided to switch it up and meet in Menlo Park at Cafe Borrone (remember that place?). It used to be my favorite cafe ever, mostly because I spent many evenings there writing after work when I was first working for the day job oh so many years ago. It was also my favorite for their gouda sandwich on focaccia, which I'd forgotten all about until I saw it on the menu and promptly started salivating like Pavlov's dog - the caramelized onions and turkey and garlicky mayo with the gouda was always total perfection, and now I can't eat it, and I'm sad.

So I grabbed a subpar iced coffee and a nice bowl of fruit and made do with that. Anne and I spent a nice hour chatting about life, which was great, and occasionally catching Pokemon (although she scoffs at how casual I am about it). Then we worked, and I actually wrote four pages, which was great (but I will probably scrap them all for reasons that will be obvious in a moment).

I left Cafe Borrone when the sun started burning me alive - I forgot about how it turns into a greenhouse in the late afternoon. Then I drove to Mountain View and made a quick stop at my optometrist's - I decided I should get new glasses since my old prescription is bad enough that I can't wear my glasses very comfortably (which is a bummer when my eyes get tired of contacts and I still need to stare at my laptop). After the glasses were procured, I drove to San Antonio Shopping Center (which is way more upscale than it was when it was a Sears, since it's now mostly restaurants and exorbitantly priced condos) and met up with Heather (aka dear respected madam).

We hadn't seen each other since June, so we had a ton to catch up on. She seems to be doing well - she's in school right now (a masters done while she's working full time), and is having a blast with that, and also seems to be enjoying work. We also talked about books (to read) and books (my own), and we brainstormed Lucy for a bit - and came up with a totally brilliant, totally off-the-wall idea that would go in a totally different direction than what I'd planned this weekend. So it's kind of ironic that I canceled my date with Heather on Saturday so that I could go to tahoe and work instead - maybe I should have met with her then so that I could have gotten this idea from her.

But you never know where ideas come from or what influences them, and it's possible that on any other night we wouldn't have come up with this. I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning - but I think it could be really good. We shall see, we shall see.

We finally parted ways around 9:30 (after 3.5hrs together, which is never enough), and I drove home, and now I need to sleep so I can be super productive tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: