Monday, August 29, 2016

then get back to business

Tahoe continues to delight. Today was less productive than yesterday - perhaps because I didn't shower, and thus didn't come up with any amazingly brilliant ideas. Also, I got a later start than I did yesterday, even though I woke up an hour earlier - Lisa and I walked over to Safeway to get coffee from the Starbucks kiosk there, but after I'd stood in line for almost ten minutes, they put up a sign saying that they couldn't make hot coffee, iced coffee, or hot tea because their hot water was broken. Lolol. So we came back to the house and grabbed my car and drove down to Heavenly Village to the Starbucks there, where the line was well out the door and it took twenty minutes to get coffee.

But coffee is necessary for my life and wellbeing, so we stuck it out and I savored every sip. When we got back, I messed around in the kitchen and made a delicious omelette with cheddar and onions, along with sour cream and salsa. I was getting ready to work as soon as I finished it, but then Barbara and her son showed up (they had gone out for breakfast during our coffee exploits), so I talked to them for awhile, etc.

However, when I finally got to work, the work went pretty well - I did some more brainstorming (and Barbara and Lisa had some good ideas about the idea I had yesterday, which I think will be a series in its own right rather than anything to do with this book - which kind of threw me for a loop, since now I need to go back to a previous plot idea for this book and simultaneously start plotting the next series). I also wrote four pages of Lucy's story, which felt good (even if I know I'll scrap it all someday in a fit of despair).

Then I took a break to call my parents, who were doing as well as they usually are. After I talked to them, I really just wanted to keep sitting on the deck and watching the lake, but I went back inside, and we all talked about ads for almost two hours - I ended up giving an impromptu lesson in Google Analytics + AdWords, which I used to be super qualified for and am now only mildly competent at. But it was good to look into all of that, and I think I need to spend some serious time on it in the very near future - no other authors that I know of are doing big things with Google ads, which means there's an opportunity to seize a bigger piece of that marketing area if I just go for it.

sssanyway. We broke to eat supper; Lisa made salmon and roasted potatoes with pesto, and it was super yummy. Eating on the deck overlooking the lake didn't hurt either. Then we buckled down to write again, but I stopped writing new pages and instead scribbled several pages of notes before calling it a night. Then we got into a discussion about politics that I only half listened to (I'm sick to death of the election and didn't feel like getting into it, so I instead opened my bullet journal and made my plans for next week). We also got into a discussion about publishing that I listened to a bit more carefully, but by then I was really tired, so I wasn't quite as strident in my opinions as I sometimes am (okay, that's a lie, I said I would throw someone off an elephant if I had a chance, so I guess that's strident).

But now I'm safely ensconced in my room and I need to sleep if I'm going to do a million things before leaving tomorrow - I think Lisa and I are staying and working through the day, then leaving here around four or five so we can get over the mountains before dark but also miss traffic in the bay area but also get home at a decent time. Wish me luck with all of that - goodnight!

No comments: