Monday, July 20, 2026

i start to feel pixelated

I had a v lovely weekend, which bled straight into the work week (and unfortunately a massive headache today). On Saturday I spent some quality time writing on my balcony until it was too hot to write (which was unfortunately far too early). I also did various household tasks, cleaned various things, and actually washed the pendants over my kitchen island, which only happens on the rare occasions when I have houseguests.

The guest in question was Katie, the queen of my heart, who was in town for one night only before a work trip to Kansas City. She wasn't able to get up here until almost 8pm, and we met at Ludlows to have dinner with Hannah (another excellent friend whom I should probably see more often since she lives thirty miles away instead of eighteen hundred like most of my friends). It was great to hang out together, even if I was repeatedly reminded of how much fun they used to have in six grade when I wasn't invited to be their friend. Joke's on them since I'm pretty cool now!

sssanyway, we had a great dinner, and then we parted ways with Hannah and came back to my house, where Katie availed herself of my guest room (and a long conversation with [censored]). In the morning, I did some gardening while Katie went out and explored her childhood haunts on her own - while I dislike using pesticides, my anti-pesticide approach last year resulted in almost no crops, and I would like to avoid this year's gardens suffering the same fate. So I harvested the tomatillos that were already ripe, and then I sprinkled some pesticides on the nightshades that were all showing signs of insect damage. If I'm successful I'm going to have way too much produce, but I would rather suffer that fate than not have any at all.

When Katie got back, I made brunch, and my mom joined us for the meal - so we all caught up over scrambled eggs and hashbrowns and fruit, which was pretty tasty. Then Katie, [censored] and I chatted before driving down to the south part of the county to see one of the murals. We swung back through town to see the murals here, and then we parted ways with [censored] and went into (the other) town to see the murals there. We also grabbed soft serve at the hospital, which was a real treat. And Katie was just as affected by the Farm Aid mural as I expected her to be - it's really a stunning work of art, and I'm glad she got to see it.

When we got back to my house, Katie had just enough time to load up her car before needing to get on the road. We said our sad farewells, and hopefully I'll make it out to Colorado to see her sometime this fall. Then I spent the afternoon taking care of tings, and I also made a fresh tomatillo salsa verde by roasting the tomatillos with a jalapeno and then blending it with onion and lime juice. I didn't have any cilantro, which probably would have made it better - but for a first effort, I really liked it a lot. [censored] did not, but salsa verde is often wasted on him, so I wasn't surprised.

I did a bit more writing after that, and then I made supper - I was in the mood for chicken and mushroom alfredo, and it turned out perfectly. Then I should have gone to bed, but I dozed instead. When I woke up this morning, I was somewhat in it to win it - but by early afternoon I was feeling funky, which turned out to be the precursor to a pretty bad headache / possible migraine. So I called it quits on the job early and napped / relaxed / did nothing the rest of the day / evening.

And now I've been back on screens too long while closing out the night, and my headache is coming back, so I'm going to go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: