Wednesday, November 02, 2005

i love the sound of you walking away

I think that I hit the nadir of laziness today; the only reason I was at work was to have lunch with some people for Joann's birthday, and I left soon thereafter. I went to Target to pick up some plastic drawers so that I could organize my closet, but I didn't find any that I wanted. Then I came home, and I intended to unpack, but instead I sprawled out on my bed and ended up napping for two hours. After that, I successfully roused myself and met some other coworkers at the Olive Garden for a going-away dinner for someone who was visiting here from the Hyderabad office. I'm hoping that someday my life will reach the point where I don't have to attend going-away dinners every three weeks, since they're getting a little old.

Dinner at the Olive Garden was fun--almost everyone had been in Hyderabad at some point while I was there, and it was good to catch up with them. I also didn't realize how much I like salad until I went someplace that doesn't have it--yet another addition to the long list of things that I once hated and now absolutely adore. I would never, ever have chosen salad over pasta before, but I did tonight, and it was lovely. There are still some things in my life that I doubt I will ever love (asparagus, ironing, and bats, for example), but salad can be scratched off my hate list. It was also clear that the rest of the former expats (now repats, I suppose) missed salad as well, since almost everyone ordered salad rather than pasta. Fascinating, eh?

Tomorrow I have to be at work at eight a.m. for a conference call, and then I have dinner plans in the evening, so I may be forced to stay awake all day. Shocking! I know it's good for me and that I have to do it if I'm ever going to get over the jetlag, but it's so much nicer to sleep whenever I want. And, if I'm not over jetlag, people are much more sympathetic towards me. I will eventually exhaust that sympathy, though, so I suppose I should start staying awake during the day. Lame. Right now it's nighttime, though, so I can legitimately go to bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok sara u seriously need to come back to iowa maybe after bein in india for so long and now going to california has made you homesick and you need to come see your very auntly deprived niece where you be long im new to being a teen and need some serious emoitonal advice lol Whats up with the lyrics to songs anyway?

Anonymous said...

Sara,

I, too share your dislike for bats. Your mom has a funny story she will have to share with you if she hasn't already. It has to do with bats, paintings and Grandma Holder's house. What a trip!!! As for salads I love the Olive Gardens, but since I seem to always be on a diet and frequent the greens, I feel they are over-rated for the most part.