Thursday, November 17, 2005

you're wondering who i am...machine or mannequin

I've realized that I end nearly every post with some variant of 'I'm going to bed.' This has become highly repetitive--and is most likely unnecessary, since it's clear to even the most casual reader that 98% of my blog posts occur right before I go to sleep. So, starting tonight, I will just dispense with the standard sign-off, and leave you hanging abruptly at the end of the post instead. This will save me two seconds at the end of every post, which can add up to at least five minutes per year--and that's if I don't blog every single day. Yippee! Of course, I just burned part of that surplus on this paragraph, but now that the initial investment has been made, I can reap the rewards for years to come.

I'm in an existential crisis because I don't know what I will be doing at work and I don't feel particularly satisfied unless I have more work than is humanly possible to perform--as much as I complain about the stress of my job, I only really like it when it is stressful. Right now I'm going through the most unstressful phase I've had since around March of 2004, and so I'm completely at a loss.

To combat this feeling, which was reaching a rather frustrating low this afternoon, I went shopping after work--and picked up a pair of pants at Gap for the amazingly low price of $10. This makes up for the fact that, like every other pair of pants I own, the pants are too long and so will have to be hemmed. Then, I picked up groceries, came home, and did a quick and brutal purge of the contents of the refrigerator (I kid you not--some of the things in there were there when I left for India in April; it's a wonder that nothing has developed sentience and attempted to kill my roommates). Then, I made myself a quesadilla with tasty sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, and olives--and I cut up a large quantity of those ingredients so that I could freeze twelve single-quesadilla servings of the mixture for future quesadillas. Packaging the ingredients for my quesadillas in advance is one of my most brilliant accomplishments, since chopping up the onion and pepper takes so long; I would rarely make quesadillas if I didn't have little Ziploc bags full of veggies in the freezer. Tonight as I was cleaning out the fridge, chopping vegetables, and loading the dishwasher, I did vaguely wish that I still had a cook and a staff to take care of me, but those memories are quickly receding into the distance and I'm gradually becoming self-sufficient again.

And if I needed any other reasons to be glad that I'm no longer in India (since I've been gone a full month and am rather sad about that), check out this article that I found today:

How disgusting is that?!

No comments: