Friday, November 18, 2005

change your taste in men

I saw the new Harry Potter movie this afternoon. Here are my thoughts:

1) It's quite novel to see a movie without wondering if rats are going to crawl across your feet.
2) It's quite novel to see a movie straight through without a poorly-timed intermission.
3) It's quite novel to see a movie without being stared at by the hordes of people hanging out in the movie theatre concourse.

Oh, and about the movie itself: I thought that this was probably the best of the four movies so far, although the books are definitely better. The age differences between the characters and the actors who play them is getting a little ridiculous--the twins looked like they were in their early twenties, while Victor Krum (who played a Bulgarian Quidditch star and should have been 17 or 18) looked like he could just as easily have been played by Sylvester Stallone. I'm sure Stallone would have jumped at the chance so that he could get back in shape for his upcoming, ridiculous desire to make new 'Rocky' *and* 'Rambo' movies next year. However, despite the age issues, I thought the twins were perfectly cast and I'm looking forward to seeing how they're utilized in the next movie (in which they should have even more entertaining parts). But all in all, the movie wasn't completely enthralling--it was worth seeing, especially since I got the ticket for free, but I'm not shouting at you to go see it immediately.

Between breakfast with Vidya and Claudia, lunch with Tolu, and the movie, I got v. little done at work today. After the movie, I came home and chilled with Claudia for a couple of hours--we discussed all the things we could be doing as healthy 24-year-olds, but instead sat on the couch and stared at each other for awhile before I started to fall asleep during our conversation. Oops. Apparently I've gotten old before my time.

The weekend promises more of the same--I don't have any solid plans, and I should continue to make a stab at cleaning my room. Big Game is tomorrow, but I'm not going to it. However, I'm not complaining about the fact that I don't meet new people, do interesting things, or find men whom I might be interested in dating. I need to get my life settled before I can add anything or anyone to it, and I don't have the stamina necessary right now to put on my polite social mask long enough to get past the first few awkward getting-to-know-you stages of friendship. And if I discount the whole 'single' thing (which, if 'singleness' was something I was selling, I've had it in stock for so long that it would already be beyond-heavily discounted), life pretty much rocks. Case in point: I still haven't succumbed to malaria, which I think means I'm in the clear--and as much as I wanted a crazy tropical disease, I don't think that fever and chills would really do anything for my attractiveness.

No comments: