Wednesday, November 09, 2005

you can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my love

I just got back from seeing 'Goodnight and Good Luck' with Vidya (congratulations to her for making it into my blog, since she only reads it for mentions of her own name), Claude, Sri, Adit, and Zach. For those of you not in the know, it's the movie about Edward R. Murrow's tide-turning coverage on the McCarthy hearings. It was v. good--an opinion that might be expected of someone who is fascinated by pinkos, people who fought against pinkos, and people who supported precious civil liberties despite the fight against said pinkos. It was also perhaps too intellectual to serve as my first movie outing in the first world--I'm used to theatres that are overcrowded, have poorly-timed intermissions, allow people to talk loudly on their cellphones, and do nothing about their burgeoning rat populations. I recommend it despite its intellectualness.

Last night was v. fun--I rather unexpectedly got a call on Sunday from Heather, who used to work in the convenience store with me in high school. She and her husband were in Palo Alto to take their youngest daughter to see some doctors at Stanford Hospital. Since they were in town for several days, I took them to a tasty Mexican restaurant last night, where we caught up on all the goings-on in our hometown. It was really nice (if a little surreal) to see someone from my hometown--the last person I saw from home was Lea in August, and before that it was when my parents visited in April. We had a great time, and I'm glad they looked me up.

I've been home from India/Sri Lanka for two weeks...and it feels like I never left. More to the point, it seems like India was some sort of weird product of my fevered imagination. By the time Christmas rolls around, I will probably be so reimmersed in my standard life that all of my Indian experience will be a vague and distant memory. Of course, if the marks from all of the mosquito bites on my legs don't fade by then, I'll still have about fifty visible reminders of my time in Sri Lanka :) Before I turn too contemplative, I think I'll go to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya

Wow, I don't look at your blog for ages, and when I do, Heather has turned up. Heh heh.

I just know somebody from the ol' stompin' grounds is gonna find me in London eventually. :-)

Cheers
~Lea