Thursday, February 03, 2011

she doesn't know your story like i do

I've stayed up too late tonight, and since I have to get up and make it to the gym tomorrow morning (after inadvertently not going for an entire week - how sad), I should really go to sleep. I was both productive and not productive today; while I didn't make it out of bed as early as I planned, I did finally get around to having lunch, driving to San Mateo, and working for a couple of hours in their lovely public library. I also got a library card there, although I didn't check anything out this time -- but I'll definitely be going back. If nothing else, I need to go back so that I can go to the knitting store and get some needles and yarn, but I didn't do it today because I needed to repark my car (stupid parking time limits) and decided to just go home before rush hour rather than reparking and then shopping.

When I made it home, I did a bit more work, and then started reading more of this book on building a writing platform before getting a book deal. I got distracted, though, by the pressing need to redo my romance blog -- I actually love the concept and what I intend to post, but I haven't been posting because my webhost is way too slow and I don't want to try to build a following for a site that is often unloadable during peak traffic times. I know it's not something I've done, because it only takes a couple of seconds to load in the middle of the night, but the one time I tried emailing my host, they said they couldn't replicate the problem (probably because they were checking it in the middle of the night, bastards). So, I spent some quality time researching webhosting options, and eventually took a break to go to the Stanford CoHo for supper (as it's both the closest and cheapest restaurant to me, which is ridiculous).

Over pasta, I continued to read the book, but I eventually got driven out by the utter ridiculousness of a Stanford business school event. I knew it was a business school event because a) people were wearing the appropriate branded sweatshirts if they weren't wearing suits or polos and b) some guy asked every single small group who came in, "How's it going, team?", which I found laughable. The event was some sort of music/jazz thing, with a couple of b-school kids performing; I didn't know it was going to happen when I sat down, and I eventually ended up surrounded. One of the guys who ended up sitting at my table introduced himself, offered me a beer, etc., asked what I was reading, and even asked if I was an undergrad (ha). He seemed nice enough, but I found it slightly off-putting only because I began to wonder if he was trying to drive me away by distracting me from my reading to the point that I decided to give up. He probably didn't have such nefarious intentions, but even though he was friendly, the swarm of bschool kids around me was a little too much, so I came home. And then, in true nerd style, I spent the last two hours downloading the files from my old webhost, signing up for a new webhost and watching "Top Chef" and a recent Craig episode (in which he spent the entire time talking to Cornel West, which was interesting).

So now, after hating on the bschool, I should really go to sleep; after the gym tomorrow, I need to finish transferring my blog, and then get busy with Madeleine and Ferguson (or rather, they need to get busy with each other and I need to chronicle it). Goodnight!

No comments: