Sunday, February 06, 2011

looks like we're getting the band back together

I had a v. productive day today, which was good, since I was feeling distinctly unproductive most of the week. I didn't get up until almost ten, but have decided to try to stop feeling guilty about such slothful activity and just accept it as my nature. I ate breakfast, showered, spent my requisite time on the internet, grabbed some lunch, and then went to Stanford's Green Library, where I worked very steadily for the rest of the day (with one short, inadvertent nap and a quick break to go outside and grab some tea from Coupa Cafe). It was a gorgeous day here, and I probably shouldn't have spent it inside, but I'm glad that I did; by the time I got home at eight p.m., I had written fifteen pages. That is basically the two scenes leading up to the fantastic, climactic masquerade scene, and so I'm glad to be standing on that threshold and looking into the ballroom where all remaining plot threads will be tied up.

Of course, all that writing time meant that I was thoroughly sick of looking at my laptop (I can use my laptop at Stanford because I can't get wireless there, which makes it a safe haven and temporary respite from my gnawing internet addiction), and so I came home with the intention of not looking at my laptop again until it was time to blog. However, after eating supper (a bowl of the chili I made last night), I checked my email on my phone and discovered that Terry was requesting a chat, and so I logged on and talked to her briefly. Eventually, though, I couldn't bear to look at the screen anymore, so I turned it off in favor of my television screen instead.

I was utterly not in the mood for anything historical or depressing, and I did not want to read a book and look at more printed words after staring at my own all day. So, I rented a movie from Amazon (technology really is amazing -- I could download an HD movie to my Tivo box from Amazon in a few minutes, and it will automatically self-destruct in a couple of days). I had meant to see 'Red' in the theatre when it came out, since I have an admitted crush on Bruce Willis (ignoring the fact that he's older than my father) and thought the premise sounded entertaining. So, I decided to watch it tonight. It wasn't the best movie, or even best shoot-em-up movie, that I've ever seen, but it was entertaining and served exactly the purpose that I wanted it to serve -- namely, I got to watch scarily-proficient people kill other people and have a good laugh about it. Yay.

But now that the movie's over, I should go to bed; I want to knock out at least half of the masquerade scene tomorrow, which is possible since I've got no desire to watch the Super Bowl. Wish me luck!

No comments: