Wednesday, February 16, 2011

my love is my engine and you might be fuel

This is my two thousandth post! If I average 500 words a post (which is purely an estimate - I write some epics here, but I also occasionally post pictures), that means I've written one million words on this blog. I don't know whether to be proud of my accomplishment, or vaguely horrified that I have shared so much. In any event, tanks for the memories. The blog has been my constant companion through most of my twenties, and it will be interesting to see whether it carries on into my thirties and beyond. I guess I can't quite picture myself blogging every day from my nursing home (although given what's going on with "Jeopardy!" this week, the machines are going to take over long before I reach decrepitude), but I also can't picture when, exactly, I would decide to hang up my blogging shoes (even if it would free up twenty minutes every night).

Anyway, today was a lovely day, even if it is rainy, windy, and generally gloomy. I made it into the gym in time to work out with Alyssa, which did a lot to soothe some of my frustration from yesterday. I also lied to you last night when I said I was going to bed; instead, I stayed up until after one a.m. rereading one of my favorite Johanna Lindsey books from way back in the day, when storylines were more epic and heroes could get away with calling the heroines "flaxen-haired wenches" in every other paragraph. So I came home from the gym around 12:30, ate a salad, spent an hour checking up on the online world, and then decided to take a nap. Much to my surprise, I slept for two hours. At some point in there, I'm almost positive that I shouted at a raccoon -- I believe the shout was real, but whether the raccoon was real, part of my dream, or a squirrel that I mistook for a raccoon outside my window is utterly unknown.

So I eventually woke up, made myself some tea, and then called Katie; she had attempted to reach me yesterday, but I was at the grocery store when she called, and then she was going home to whatever it is that married people do on Valentine's. But tonight was better for both of us, and we talked for almost an hour -- v. necessary, since we hadn't talked since January and I haven't seen her in person since the memorable evening when she, her husband, and her sister came over to my parents' house to hang out with Adit, Omar, and my brother (which is so bizarre that I can't still believe it happened). She tried to convince me to finish my damn book by regaling me with tales of some horrendous nightmare of a romance novel that she's been reading -- and I suppose she was successful, since I ended up writing after I got off the phone with her.

The grand total for today was 2147 words (about 8.5 pages), which was wonderful. I'm still not done with the masquerade scene, but I'm getting closer (and the scene is probably 35 pages long anyway -- several things happen at the masquerade, so it's not an easy scene to knock off). I also talked to Terry for an hour and a half tonight, and then I sloughed off at eleven to do some reading, which was probably better than forcing myself to stare at the computer any longer.

And now, I'm done for the day -- it's two a.m., and while I technically don't have to be anywhere until one p.m. tomorrow (I'm doing a stretching session with Art, the one who examined me like a used-car salesman and then worked wonders to realign everything), I want to get up in time to go to the gym, work out and shower before I see him, so I should really get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: