Friday, February 04, 2011

do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again

I worked all day today pretty much nonstop, but since it was on my website rather than on my book, perhaps that's not to be acclaimed. I did make it into my training session with Alyssa first -- and promptly asked her to find a standing time slightly later than eight a.m. I tried the eight a.m. slot thinking that it would get me out of bed and productive earlier in the day, which was mildly successful -- but as it turns out, the fact that I feel slightly nauseated most mornings is not good for my gym performance. If I eat, then I feel like throwing up halfway through the workout; if I don't eat, then I run out of steam and am cranky the rest of the morning. So, starting next week we're going for the more civilized hour of ten a.m., which seems like a good compromise between eight a.m. and noon.

After I got home, I basically worked on website stuff the rest of the day. I signed up for a server that is quite tricky (no real UI, all commands done via terminal, which reminds me of the good old days of MS-DOS sixteen years ago) -- and so while I think that it could be fantastic once I get it set up, the learning curve is extremely steep, and I'm basically groping around blind. Of course, this has just served to make me more stubborn about it; I'm not out any money and didn't sign a contract, so I could easily switch to something else, but I'm insistent on making this work.

Anyway, I did eventually take a break for a v. impromptu, unexpected dinner with Adit, who I suspect offered dinner so that he could first go for a run and then use my shower, since he had already checked out of his hotel. So, he went for his run, showered, and we eventually went to Joya in Palo Alto, which was just as much of a scene as always. Still, the food was good, and I got a glass of champagne out of the deal, which was delightful. Then, Adit left, and I spent the past four hours playing with web stuff. And so, with my eyes crossing and my head ready to explode, I should probably go to sleep -- and plan on writing tomorrow, even if I will want to keep making progress with the site. Goodnight!

No comments: