Tuesday, February 01, 2011

leave you there by yourself chained to fate

I'm way too tired to still be up, even though I took a two-hour "nap" (if one can call it that) this morning after Adit left. I woke up around 7:20, and left my room to use the bathroom after he got out of the shower, and then intended to sit around only long enough to say goodbye to him -- but he ended up sitting at my kitchen table until almost nine, so I ate some oatmeal and talked to him. When he left, I did go back to bed, but (as you might imagine) I slept rather fitfully, since I had been wide awake before going back to sleep. I finally got out of bed sometime after eleven, showered, made myself some eggs for lunch, and then talked to my parents for approximately two hours. After getting off the phone with them, I took care of some minor tasks and errands, and was just picking up my jacket to go to Starbucks and write for awhile when Chandlord called.

So, Chandlord and I met up at Starbucks, where we spent an hour discussing our respective lives before she ditched me to go to dinner with someone. I managed to write a couple of pages in the half hour that I had left before driving to Sunnyvale for dinner at John and Jess's house. Dinner was super tasty (even if my father would disapprove of the entirely vegetarian fare) -- a salad, followed by zucchini, yams, and an awesome ratatouille on top of a whole pile of cheese. Mmmm. They also opened a delicious bottle of white wine that Jess had gotten from her boss, and so we shared that before adjourning to the nearby couches, where Jess demonstrated her increasing ability with the guitar she got for Christmas by attempting an acoustic version of Ke$sha's "We R Who We R".

Surprisingly enough, Adit (some people call him the cat) showed up sometime after eight p.m., and so we went back to the dinner table, and then eventually back to the music. By the time I left (sometime shortly before 10:30), I realized I should have left an hour earlier -- a) because my hosts need to go to work the next morning before Jess gets her eyes fixed and b) I have to be at the gym by eight a.m., which is going to come all too soon. But, when I got home, I looked at tickets to Hawaii -- I was starting to plan a major three-week research trip to London for March, since I have some frequent flyer miles that I need to use. However, I'm starting to feel that three weeks is too long to take away from the writing, and that perhaps I would prefer to spend one week someplace sunny than three weeks trudging around English country estates in the rain. Time will tell, but I can get a ticket to Hawaii with the miles that I need to use (and for only $5 additional in tax, instead of the $150 in international taxes).

That's a decision for another day, however; now, it's time for bed!

1 comment:

John said...

+1 for links!