Sunday, July 07, 2013

not listening when you say goodbye

The words were slow-going today…or perhaps it's that I was slow-going, since I wasn't looking forward to the scene I was writing. But I eventually forced myself to do it, and I got in six pages this afternoon before my brain stopped functioning. I was going to try for another five tonight, but when I tried to contemplate a plot hole, I found myself falling asleep instead. So I stopped writing rough-draft stuff and instead made three or four pages of notes about the plot hole. I'm not convinced that I've solved it to my satisfaction, but I can sense myself getting closer, so maybe I'm at the point where I can keep writing and trust that it will sort itself out.

The rest of my day was entirely uneventful; I didn't leave the apartment, other than to grab some Indian food from the delivery guy when he showed up downstairs. But I did spend an hour and a half on the roof while talking to my parents, so at least I got a bit of fresh air. And I talked to Terry, who returned from Tahoe with some dreadful plague that I hope my immune system can avoid.

But now, alas, I should sleep; I have very little desire to go to the day job tomorrow, since I'm kind of in the groove with Alex and Prudence, but I'm sure I'll survive. And besides, after I work this week, I'll be off for a week for a trip to Atlanta for RWA; technically I'm working next Monday and Tuesday from Atlanta before taking Wednesday-Friday off, but at least those will be days when I can work in my pajamas rather than schlepping myself into the office.

So, I shall now go to bed, and let my dreams of paychecks and my dreams and Alex and Prudence go to war against each other. Goodnight!

No comments: