Wednesday, July 03, 2013

welcome to the new age

I had intended to go to bed two hours ago, but I got sucked into a book, so I failed. Today started as an exercise in complete and utter frustration, but it ended on a series of high notes, so I guess overall it was good. My seven a.m. meeting turned into an ambush (which would be fine, except I was the ambushee rather than the ambusher), and I was utterly unprepared for it since I had woken up thirty minutes earlier and hadn't had any caffeine yet. But I recovered from that, had another meeting that was more productive, had a third meeting that was boring, and then I drove to Mountain View during my break between events.

However, things started looking up from there; I got a bit of work done, had another good meeting, and then had a delightful barbecue lunch with John, which provided some much-needed amusement. Thus properly refortified, I slogged through the rest of my afternoon, then went to a bar at four for a going-away party for a coworker. We adjourned at five, and since I had only had a diet coke at that, I felt free to indulge in a margarita when I met up with Terry for dinner at Fiesta del Mar. Then I came home, thought for about thirty seconds that I should either work or write...and instead picked up my Kobo and read half of a filthy vampire erotica novel that, as per usual with this author, is making me cry on like every fifth page. I don't know how she manages to intersperse really raunchy sex with some of the most gutwrenching character development in any novel you'll ever read, but I want to learn her secrets.

If I didn't have a day job I would stay up all night and finish this, but since I have to get up for an eight a.m. meeting, I must go to bed. Luckily I can work from home all day tomorrow, so I'm going to do that, then skip out at five to have a writing date. Yay. Goodnight!

No comments: