Thursday, July 04, 2013

but when they cut me open, i guess i changed my mind

Today was a totally lovely way to kick off my long weekend. It didn't quite start out that way; I had meetings straight from eight a.m. until noon, which made me hungry and cranky. But luckily I worked from home, so that I could avoid traffic, and luckily one of my meetings ended fifteen minutes so I could make myself some bacon and eggs to fortify myself for the long slog ahead.

When my morning meetings ended, I snuck down the street for lunch, then came back and worked until 4:30. Then, I put on shoes and sauntered into the Marina, which is normally a hellish cesspool of bros and hos - but I found a spirit guide to take me to all the best places, and she succeeded tonight. And by 'spirit guide' I mean my friend Kathia, who is also a romance writer and who was also on that retreat I did a month or so ago. She lives in the Marina as well, but since she writes full time and seems to write almost exclusively from bars and cafes, she knows where to go to get some stuff done.

So we met up at a wine bar at five for a writing date...which then turned into a five and a half hour wine-fueled odyssey of writing and gossip and general life stories. I actually did write from five to seven, and got about five pages, which I will totally take. But at that point I had had a glass of bubbly and a glass of zin, and then the bartender (sommelier?) poured us each half a glass of something he wanted us to try...and then my ship sailed. So I abandoned my notebook, and Kathia and I went to a restaurant next door, where we had a very leisurely dinner and a couple more glasses of wine. We also befriended the man sitting next to us and talked to him for an hour or so, which was quite entertaining.

Finally, I pulled myself out of my wine haze long enough to realize that I needed to go to bed, so I came home with that intention...and then promptly stayed up until now finishing that vampire erotica that I was reading yesterday. And yes, I cried through the rest of it too, because that's apparently how I roll. And now I really must sleep; I promised Heather (aka dear respected madam) that I would come to the south bay tomorrow, so I'm going to have to get up at some point. Goodnight!

No comments: