Saturday, April 09, 2016

when the last king of hollywood shatters his glass on the floor

I had a highly hermity day today, so it will not interest you at all to know what I did. Since Ritu, Bill and I miraculously confined ourselves to one bottle of wine last night (shared amongst the three of us! not even a bottle of wine each!), I woke up this morning feeling as right as the rain currently streaming down my skylights. That was a good thing, since I had many tings to accomplish today...

...and of course I didn't really start working until after noon. But that's fine with me - I needed some introverted veg time after many hours of extreme socializing this week. I fueled myself up with some avocado toast - I've never succumbed to the trend because most places that serve avocado toast don't have gluten free bread. But I have gluten free bread, and I had an avocado at perfect ripeness, and I even had a lemon - so I toasted two slices of bread, mashed up half an avocado, spread it all over the toast, drizzled it with lemon and the fanciest olive oil in my cupboard, and sprinkled on some sea salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Note: this was not my combo idea, but rather something from Smitten Kitchen. But together, it was fantastically delicious and makes me think I should keep avocados and lemons in my kitchen at all times.

Then, I worked most of the afternoon - I'm contemplating the proposed edits from my editor for Rafe and Octavia's story, which will be a lot of work, but will also make the story a lot better, but will also be a lot of fucking work. So I organized my thoughts and did some journalling about some of the issues she raised, and did some desultory research into parliamentary issues in nineteenth century Britain, as any well-adjusted thirtysomething does on a Friday afternoon.

I ended up taking a break around five to run to the grocery store, deal with some packages, take out recycling, etc. And then I made spaghetti all' amatriciana, which, as you may know, has become my go-to pasta dish. Cutting up the bacon and onions and garlic was done in a flash, and it's basically a thirty-minute meal if you already have the tomato sauce ready to go (which I did, since I had some in the freezer from the last time I made tomato sauce). So that was all extremely tasty, if I do say so myself.

Then I spent the evening working, although I took a nap around nine p.m. (the pasta + the extreme brain activity required to dream up other peoples' lives made me sleepy). It was all great progress, but I want to sleep and dream through some of it some more, and then hopefully get up earlyish and get some work done before having fun tomorrow. Yes, get excited - I'm leaving the house again, so tomorrow's post won't be as boring as today's. Goodnight!

No comments: