Sunday, April 24, 2016

ten times out of nine i know you're lying, but nine times out of ten i know you're trying

I'll skip the usual recap of my morning and how I worked but not enough, etc., etc., and get straight to the good stuff. And really, the only good stuff today was that I went to Contraband this afternoon and wrote for a bit, and then I abandoned all pretenses of productivity and had a drink with Tom (aka Tom Foolery, although he's not nineteen anymore, so maybe that nickname should be retired). This, it should not surprise you, turned into three drinks - we hadn't seen each other in forever, but we reconnected at Chandlord's dance event a few weeks ago and actually followed through on our plan to get drinks at talk about writing.

This, of course, should have happened forever ago; we hadn't gotten together to talk shop in a million years, partially because I went through a period of sucking at making plans and partially because he has a fairly high-powered career beyond writing, so neither of us were putting in much effort. But luckily, when we get together it immediately feels like old times. So we met up at Cabin, and we spent a solid 3.5hrs talking about writing, books, dating, life, happiness, heartbreak, corporate america, and much more stuff about storytelling in general. So that was all great for the soul, even if drinking on a somewhat empty stomach was less good for the liver and no good for any hope of productivity tonight.

But I knew how that was going to go down. We eventually parted ways with promises to get together again sooner rather than later (which I intend to make happen). And then, since I was already halfway to my old 'hood, I went to my favorite sushi place, where I gorged on raw fish and happiness.

Then, still slightly too buzzed to get anything done, I took a lyft home, and I spent the rest of the night reading the first section of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (the first section of the first book, so I still have a long way to go) - it had been recommended to me many times, but Tom was effusive about it today and pushed me over the edge into reading it immediately. It actually reminds me a bit of 'Promise of Blood', which is the first book in that gunpowder mage series I read ages ago - and now I feel like I need to go back and finish that series as well, but reading this book is probably enough for tonight.

But even though my old instincts say to stay up all night and keep reading, I know that I need to get some sleep so I can write tomorrow - wish me luck with that. Goodnight!

No comments: